.357 Sig. Worth it?

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Got myself a M&P 40, with the plan being to use it as a multiple caliber gun. Here's my question, getting a 9mm barrel for it is almost a no brainer due to the cheapness of the ammo, and making it an option in times of limited availability, but what about a 357 sig barrel? I can't think of any benefits over a .40 for competition, but what about for hunting and self defense? I can honestly say I have a bit of an infatuation with this caliber, and just wanted to see what others opinions of it were before I spend money. A new barrel can be had for about $70, and of course the ammo isn't cheap, but I would be able to plink, shoot matches and such with .40 or 9.

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the .357 configuration and love it. While many say that there is no need for the .357, if you are willing to deal the the substantial muzzle blast there advantages. A standard .357 125gr will have equal too or slightly higher energy than a .45+P.
for those of you that need some made up stats;
357 SIG 125 gr JHP at 1425 fps - 563 ft/lbs.
45 Auto 185 gr JHP at 1150 fps - 543 ft/lbs.
* not actual values but easily doable depending on firearm used *
Personally, i would only recommend this for self defense do to the following;
Ammo is EXPENSIVE
Reloading is a bear
Muzzle blast/recoil is high
Like I mentioned, I have the gun and like it, it's a proshop gun and I have no problem shooting 45/50 yard targets. In fact it is the best shooting production gun i own. I even took a deer with it a few years ago (i think it was legal) and lets just saw it was quite effective.
Unless you are going for self defense only I would say stick to the other calibers.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
One of the Deputies I work with uses it and swears by it, but I've never shot one.

Have you shot that caliber much? Probably going to be one of those things where you need to see if you can find someone with one and shoot a few rounds to see how you like it. No point in investing if you hate shooting it. :)

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Personally I'm anti-anything that's not 9mm for a handgun. I'm just not man enough to shoot anything stronger with any kind of accuracy and even my 9mm skills are iffy.

ocphy

Well-Known Fanatic
I love 357 sig personally, I reload for it and don't have any problems. I did have a M&P in 357 sig but sold it, I currently have a glock 32 and love shooting it. Get a barrel if you don't like it I will buy it from you and have a good excuse to get another M&P 40 lol

argyle64

Well-Known Fanatic
I like shooting the GLOCK Gen4 31. That pistol with a light on the end is very manageable. I HATE shooting the G33 (any generation).

Latest posts