.338 Lapua. Need Opinions on Glass purchase

Jrabbit771

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey guys, it's been a few months. During that time I bought a Savage BA 110 .338 Lapua. Currently I have my Nikon Monarch 5-20X44 BDC on it. Took the Monarch off my 25-06. I love my Monarch on my 06, but seems like I need some better glass for my Lapua. I've researched glass for months now, but Im wanting some user experience to go off of.

These are the scopes I had in mind.
1) Nightforce NXS 5.5-22X50(56) $2,000+\~
2) SWFA 5-20X50 30mm Tactical scope $1,499
3) Vortex Razor HD 5-20X50 35mm $1,999
4) Vortex 6-24X50 Viper PST First Focal $949
5) Various Leupold...Which one?!?!?!
6) Premier Optics I really like but a little over my price range

I was dead set on the Nightforce until I started looking at Vortexs line up. I love the HD, but the PST seems like a damn good deal. A buddy bought the SWFA and put it on his .338 Lapua and loves it. I have not got the chance to look,through the SWFA. I own the Vortex SPARC and I love it, but it's a lot different then glass I'm wanting on my Lapua.

Out of these choices, what do you think my best choice would be? I'm leaning towards the PST, unless I get swayed in another direction. Has anyone used the Viper PST, Razor, or SWFA? The price difference from the PST and Razor HD is quite a bit. Is it worth the extra 1K?
Thanks for you time
Jeremy Moore

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
If your going with a luepold the mk4 is about the only choice, it will survive that kind of recoil easily. I own two different SWFA scopes and I have to say for the money they are awesome. Of course if you are dead set on spending boat loads of dirty cocaine dealer money, shoot for NF or US Optics. you cant go wrong unless you buy a red dot...and then you would be a legend...

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I picked up a Bushnell Elite 6500 tactical for my ruger 25-06 paid ~$750 for it. I can't compare it 1st hand against some of the others on the list, but I've been very happy with it

Make sure you budget for a really good set of rings. I think far to many people shell out big money for rifles/scopes, and then go to academy or dig out any old set of rings.

Check out snipershide.com if you haven't already.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Like OUshooter said spend some change on your base and rings! if you already knew this then sorry but just in case spend some money on your base and rings. I was looking at a 338 Egde build several years ago but never went thru with it, I was going to use a NF scope but after meesing with a few I found I didn't care for the eyepiece turning to crank up or down the power. I was leaning toward the US Optics but my collar is pretty blue so I just paid off some bills with the cash I had stashed away for the build.

There is a lot of good glass out there for a decent price these days, Leupold used to be awesome glass but there are others out there like the Vortex brands that are as good or better for less money. I have owned and have heard a mess of folks speak very highly of the Bushnell scopes 4200 and 6500 series, now to throw you a loop, I have 3 scopes made by Wotac in Gleenpool on a 243, 308, and 7WSM pistol and they have been wonderful! don't know how one would work on your LM.

Dig around on snipershide and see what you come up with lots of information over there. Later,

Kirk

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Friend of mine bought the new Bushnell HDMR scope for his .338 LM. I think they run $1200-1500 depending on options/reticles.

I have a Bushy Elite 6500 and it's a pretty good scope for the money I paid... picked it up used. It's better than I am right now.

Latest posts