308 AR Scope

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
So, I have slowly been messing around with a DPMS LR:308 over the last year. I finally shot it today, and have have had my fears about my current scope realized.

IMG_0847.jpg

The scope is a VX2 6-18, which I think is suitable, and I added some aftermarket turrets that work well enough. However, I got it on clearance at Midway (paid $500 instead of $600), but it has a "super fine reticle". In short, the cross hairs are unbelievably hard to see.

I just want a good scope that won't break the bank. I currently shoot out to 200 yards, but want the ability to go out further in time (600-800?). The top two choices are currently:

Nikon's M-308 series - It's affordable, they have a cool app for their BDC, and they make good stuff.

http://www.nikonhunting.com/products/riflescopes/m-308

Leupold's AR series - their 6-18 is basically the scope I have now, but in the configuration I really want. However, they may be tuned for 5.56, so I would need the "normal" reticle, not the BDC option I think....I could really be wrong.

http://www.leupold.com/tactical/scopes/ ... dj-obj-t1/

jjwestbrook

Well-Known Fanatic
i have noticed a lot of good close out deals on scopes with the fine crosshairs . they evidnetly don't sell too well

you really can't go wrong with either nikon or leupold

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
I can see why.

The ultra fine reticle is kinda cool on paper, but I had to work to see the impact point at 25 and 200 yard targets. The weather was great with perfect blue skies, and I still found it to be a chore.

If anyone is tempted, try and look through it before you buy one.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a lower end Nikon Buckmaster I use with my LR-308 at shorter ranges, and I must say I am pleased with it. The glass and reticle clear, but the main thing I like about it is the long eye relief needed for an AR. I would take a close look at the M-308, especially since it includes the mount worth about $100 at least. Let us know what other findings you have.

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
I called about returning it to Leupold for modification, but they seemed reluctant to alter the reticle (they were willing to install towers).

I'm still grappling, but when the choice gets made, I'll report back. Any suggestions are welcome.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Suggestion: if you don't like the scope, sell it ASAP and move on. It may be exactly what someone else wants.

And I would second the statement of always looking through any optic before you buy it. I am willing to pay a little more than online prices to a local store who will let me handle such an item before I buy it. (I don't make it a practice of fondling items in a store then looking for a better price online. If you don't like the price in the store, don't pick it up.)

TacticalTed.com

Fanatic
We have the Leupold Mark AR 6-18x40 with "Fine Duplex" for $459.99, or with the Mil Dot reticle for $ 505.00, both with matte finish at: TacticalTed.com.

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
Ted, sounds like great prices! Do you know if the "calibration" for 55gr 223 rounds makes the AR series a bad choice for the 308 ?

Very Tempting!

TacticalTed.com

Fanatic
I wouldn't consider it a bad choice. Of course the trajectory of the 308 will be different than that of the 223. You would simply need to do a little experimenting to see how the trajectory of your round equates to the yardage marked on the dials. Say you set the dial to 300 yds. and it turns out to equal a 275 yard.zerro. You would just use that setting for 275 yards rather than 300. Leupold will also make custom dials for your specific load if you wish.

Latest posts