$3000 to spend

dennishoddy

1. Not suprised. There are a lot of folks trying to get into reloading right now with the ammo shortage we are experiencing. Components are out there, but its tough finding them.

dennishoddy

Good choice. I have the LNL. Got mine when you got 1K rounds of bullets with it for free. I think they still offer 500 rounds. I got the 230 gr .45ACP HP bullets.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
You got 3K? If that's the case I'd look at how many rounds you are going to be shooting. The 1050 is for serious quantities per month and it's not easy or cheap to swap calibers. That said if you are shooting more than 1 to 3K per month in a single caliber then the 1050 is what you want.

Otherwise get a XL650, Brian's "the way it should be" upgrades, a RT1200 trimmer set up for .223 and a Redding T7 Turret press for working up loads, small batch and rifle loading. You will eventually be doing loads on a single stage at some point and you might as well get the best. Then get the scales, calipers, manuals, etc. You will still have some cash for components. Brian has a great explanation on his site and also some info on the approximate wait time it's well worth checking out.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
For rounds where you never come across crimped cases the 650 is a hell of a machine and can be decked out almost as well as a 1050 for a lot less money. I had two, one large primer, one small until the recent panic allowed me to sell one and pay for a decked out 1050.

Here is a video of it loading, it went for a little over $1800 on egay.

This is a video of how my older 1050 works.

goodwink

Well-Known Fanatic
Just order a hornady progressive and save yourself the wait time. Every bit as good as dillon and a lot less money
Simple to operate and run
Loaded 25000 with mine so far and not a problem one

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
As suggested earlier, if you decide to get two 650's, dedicate one to using small primers and the other to large primers. The most time consuming part of the caliber conversion with the 650 is changing the primer systems.

I have one 650 press and I plan ahead what calibers I'm going to load based on the primers. These are the calibers I load.

Small
9mm
.38/.357
40 S&W
45 Gap.

Large
.45 ACP

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
Another thing to consider is that the 1050 has a swager in one of it's sations. Would save a third of the time loading 223. Just a thought but if I had known that, I would have bought the 1050 over the 650.

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I had thought about the 1050 when I was shopping for my progressive. The deciding factor for me was the cost of the tool heads and the caliber conversions.

Another consideration was the warranty. The 1050 does NOT come with the "No BS warranty" cause Dillon considers it to be a commercial grade machine.

JMorris

Well-Known Fanatic
The only thing I have had to change on my 1050's is the primer tube oraface and even though out of warranty they shipped them to me for free.

Here is a video of one of them cranking out .223 at the rate of 100 rounds in 2.5 min.

Latest posts