300 AAC Blackout

ocphy

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone have a 300 AAC Blackout upper for AR-15? Been reading about them lately, and wondered if anyone here has one or shot one.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
That's what the 650 is for! Get the Dillon trimmer and you're set.

Even with reloading, those 30 cal pills are expensive compared to other AR calibers. And have fun searching for that expensive brass after a 3 gun match. It appears to be a very good tactical round, but not good for the wallet unless your Daniel Horner with the AMU's wallet to use for 3 gun matches.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1482899294/sierra-matchking-bullets-300-aac-blackout-308-diameter-125-grain-open-tip-match-otm

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Even with reloading, those 30 cal pills are expensive compared to other AR calibers. And have fun searching for that expensive brass after a 3 gun match. It appears to be a very good tactical round, but not good for the wallet unless your Daniel Horner with the AMU's wallet to use for 3 gun matches.

http://www.midwayusa...n-tip-match-otm
Agreed. The only reason I can see to use that caliber in 3gun is if your were being PAID to shoot it. .223 and .308 is superior in 3gun in every way I can think of. It's just going to be a "fun gun" for me. And probably HD with subsonic ammo and suppressed.

ocphy

Well-Known Fanatic
I definitely won't be using it for 3gun, and i have thousands of projectiles that will work for just general shooting. Just wondering if someone here actually had one.

i am going to put an upper together, I just don't know what length barrel I want to go with.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Honestly the 16" with the suppressor didn't feel all that bad, even in the shoot-house at USSA. If you don't already have an SBR lower or don't plan on getting one, I think 16" would be just fine.

rsilvers

New Fanatic
Agreed. The only reason I can see to use that caliber in 3gun is if your were being PAID to shoot it. .223 and .308 is superior in 3gun in every way I can think of.

Except that some matches give Major scoring for 320 PF.

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2011/10/horner-wins-tactical-optics-divison-at-multigun-nationals/

My friend got a good deer:

http://www.300blktalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=128&t=78275

uscbigdawg

Well-Known Fanatic
We've been down this road before. Building a rifle for 1 match. Yeah, there are other Area or rifle only matches that use USPSA rules (and some that say they're using USPSA rules), but the reality is that the ONLY major 3-gun match that major PF is acknowledged is Nationals. I'd wager that the $10k bonus money from AAC factored into Daniel decision to use it at Nat's.

The only thing going for 300AAC/Blackout/Whisper is that the brass is easy to manufacture if you have a Dillon trimmer and the trim die from M4C (or whoever). They feed in Magpuls with some tweaking, so you can load 48 with Nordic extensions. However...making power factor is a different story. It's been done, as evidenced by Daniel, but I'll wager there was some work done to that barrel to make it get there. I wasn't there, but I would wager it barely made major. On top of all of that, unless something new has come out, from everything I've seen trajectory wise, it sucks. After about 175 it drops out of the sky faster than just about anything.

We had one local guy use it at the BARC in Heavy Optics, but the MD dropped the power factor down for him and one of the match sponsors using an AK. So...surprise, surprise that they took 1st and 2nd with 48 and 30 round mags respectively and the 308 shooters, shooting 320 pf and 20 round mags trailed behind.

I'm considering rebarreling an old rifle to it, just for plinkin', but that's WAAAAAY down on the priority list.

Rich

ocphy

Well-Known Fanatic
anyone have a recommendation for which barrel manufacturer to use?

shooterdave

Uncivil Servant
If you are just going to be ****ing around with it, get a cheapie. Hell, model 1 sales even has them. If you are going to suppress it and do some cool FA or SBR ****, spend some more and get a Noveske or something like that. They are in the $350 range. I'm going to build one eventually and one thing that is topping my list it a good adjustable gas block. That way you can tweak it for various loads, with or without can, etc..

dennishoddy

Even with reloading, those 30 cal pills are expensive compared to other AR calibers. And have fun searching for that expensive brass after a 3 gun match. It appears to be a very good tactical round

I have a .243WSSM upper. Awesome round/upper, but like the blackout, it's not a match gun. $2 a shot with factory ammo.

ocphy

Well-Known Fanatic
I ended up getting a barrel from Loki when I was there today. It is a Saturn barrel, will update when upper is finished (tomorrow if I can find a gas block in garage or Tulsa tomorrow)

ocphy

Well-Known Fanatic
Swapped barrels with the Loki Upper from the Group Buy!

pre_1324681742__300blk.jpg

Latest posts