30 round .223/5.56 Magazines

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris54326 said:
I can't help but agree, Dennis. I was listening to Glen Beck's program the other day when a man called in to tell him that his son is being deployed soon and the rifle he's been issued won't hit the side of a barn. The son grew up shooting and hunting with a lot of different firearms and the father claimed he was an excellent shot, so he believed him. The man pleaded with Glen to try and generate some interest in the problem from his platform. Sad that we send our boys into harms way ill prepared, when the general public thinks otherwise.
This sounds like BS. Everybody thinks they’re great at shooting, but very few soldiers can qualify expert on demand. I’m not sure about the reserve component Soldier, but on active duty, weapons should be gauged annually to ensure they are within specs.

Reliability with aluminum magazines is another story. They typically aren’t bad if they’re new, but they were never designed to be abused for years. SAWs are notoriously unreliable while using the 30rd detachable magazines as they are designed to be belt fed weapons.

Buy magpul magazines and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Josh Cobb said:
This sounds like BS. Everybody thinks they’re great at shooting, but very few soldiers can qualify expert on demand. I’m not sure about the reserve component Soldier, but on active duty, weapons should be gauged annually to ensure they are within specs.

Reliability with aluminum magazines is another story. They typically aren’t bad if they’re new, but they were never designed to be abused for years. SAWs are notoriously unreliable while using the 30rd detachable magazines as they are designed to be belt fed weapons.

Buy magpul magazines and call it a day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reserve units no longer maintain an armory. After 911, the government decided it was too dangerous to have automatic weapons in reserve units. Afraid they would be stolen I guess.
Right now reserve units get 40 rounds a year for training. That's it.
For several years we brought a reserve unit to our range to get much more shooting than 40 rounds.
One of our club officers who was a Drill Sergeant with over 20 years experience had the son that needed new mags for his SAW I commented about earlier was still in that unit after deployment and he wanted to insure they got real training if they ever got called up again. (You'd have to know the guy to understand, he's incredibly anal about shooting skills.)
Some of the new recruits, even after basic were still trying to load mags backwards. By the end of the weekend, they got pretty good.

Wedelj1231

Well-Known Fanatic
InRange TV put out a video a couple weeks ago going over AR magazines in great detail. It was about 30 minutes long and no longer exists on their YouTube channel. It's 30 minutes of solid gold, but I can't seem to find it.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Sunshine Shooter said:
InRange TV put out a video a couple weeks ago going over AR magazines in great detail. It was about 30 minutes long and no longer exists on their YouTube channel. It's 30 minutes of solid gold, but I can't seem to find it.
I bet in ended like Josh's post above....buy Magpul.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm calling B.S. on this whole thread. Having taught the use of the M-16, M-16A1, M-16A2, XM177E2, And as of late the M-4 platform literally all over the world, I can say for sure there is nothing wrong with the good old aluminum G.I. magazines....NOTHING!!!! I did a class for an anti piracy entity, and they were having all sorts of trouble getting their M-4s to run.....think "pommy Brits" here. After getting them to perform basic maintenance and lube on the platform it's self we then took apart the 1969 era 30 round mags and CLEANED them in buckets of Diesel and blew them out with compressed air. Low and behold ALL of their guns ran perfectly! This isn't the only time I have run into this!. Magazines need maintenance just like the rifle, and your average G.I. hasn't even been told how to do it, nor was his daddy.....hence the "bad rap" on the aluminum 30. How many of you steely eyed "pistoleros" clean magazines after every stage, but have never taken your rifle and rifle mags apart? This hold true for ALL issue magazines.....take them apart, clean them, and test them!
B.T.W. I have run over U.S.G.I. 30 round aluminum magazines with my Dodge Diesel truck, and just like the MAGPUL add they worked perfectly afterwords......as long as they were fully loaded to start........just like in the MAGPUL video!
Nothing new here!!!! Just take care of the gear your issued or buy!!!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
KurtM said:
I'm calling B.S. on this whole thread. Having taught the use of the M-16, M-16A1, M-16A2, XM177E2, And as of late the M-4 platform literally all over the world, I can say for sure there is nothing wrong with the good old aluminum G.I. magazines....NOTHING!!!! I did a class for an anti piracy entity, and they were having all sorts of trouble getting their M-4s to run.....think "pommy Brits" here. After getting them to perform basic maintenance and lube on the platform it's self we then took apart the 1969 era 30 round mags and CLEANED them in buckets of Diesel and blew them out with compressed air. Low and behold ALL of their guns ran perfectly! This isn't the only time I have run into this!. Magazines need maintenance just like the rifle, and your average G.I. hasn't even been told how to do it, nor was his daddy.....hence the "bad rap" on the aluminum 30. How many of you steely eyed "pistoleros" clean magazines after every stage, but have never taken your rifle and rifle mags apart? This hold true for ALL issue magazines.....take them apart, clean them, and test them!
B.T.W. I have run over U.S.G.I. 30 round aluminum magazines with my Dodge Diesel truck, and just like the MAGPUL add they worked perfectly afterwords......as long as they were fully loaded to start........just like in the MAGPUL video!
Nothing new here!!!! Just take care of the gear your issued or buy!!!
While I do prefer MAGPUL, I've never had any issues with the GI mags I've used. I agree, whether MAGPUL or GI, mag maintenance should be part of your routine.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
The U.S. military never issued, nor bought magazines for the M-16 platforms made of steel. All G.I. magazines were made of aluminum, even the orriginal 20 round "waffle" stamped magazines were made of aluminum. If your magazines are steel, they are not G.I.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
KurtM said:
The U.S. military never issued, nor bought magazines for the M-16 platforms made of steel. All G.I. magazines were made of aluminum, even the orriginal 20 round "waffle" stamped magazines were made of aluminum. If your magazines are steel, they are not G.I.
Interesting. I never knew that. Of course I've never put a magnet on it either.

Latest posts