30 round .223/5.56 Magazines

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
I've recently purchased my first AR15. Know virtually nothing about the platform, but learning as quickly as I can. One thing I am curious about is magazines. You folks who shoot competitively run a lot of rounds through your rifles/magazines. I'm trying to decide which magazines to purchase for my rifle. I know a lot of people use Magpul and a lot use Lancer. But I don't know what brand you competition shooters use or why you've chosen to use it. I will mostly be storing these 30 round mags loaded with 28 rounds.

Any comments would be helpful to me.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I have Magpul, troy, USGI and Hexmag. My go to mags that I always use are Magpul. I've never had a single issue out of any of them I've had.
The troy and USGI mags have always performed as well, but i always find myself reaching for the pmag.
Hex mags work great if you load 28 Instead of 30.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Just a personal preference, but I'd like to stay away from metal magazines. Not very stealth in their use...........too danged noisy.

Okay, so far that's two of you who like Magpul.

Jmoreno88

New Fanatic
Not that it needs to be said again but in all the competitions I run, I only use magpul. 30, 40, and 60rd drums. No issues with any, I live in the desert and get alot of very fine sand and dust in the mags and it's never slowed them down

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

Chris54326 said:
I may be totally off base here, but to me it appears some politicians brother in law came up with an improved follower and is pushing the issue.
Magazine issues have been the bane of the service rifles since their introduction until magpul was introduced.
Buddies son was a SAW operator in Iraq during the worst actions. He was experiencing continual mag related issues. Buddy ordered up a case of Pmags and sent to his son that solved the issues.
It’s insane what’s going on to put them in harms way without the best and most reliable equipment available.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't help but agree, Dennis. I was listening to Glen Beck's program the other day when a man called in to tell him that his son is being deployed soon and the rifle he's been issued won't hit the side of a barn. The son grew up shooting and hunting with a lot of different firearms and the father claimed he was an excellent shot, so he believed him. The man pleaded with Glen to try and generate some interest in the problem from his platform. Sad that we send our boys into harms way ill prepared, when the general public thinks otherwise.

I keep being drawn back the the Lancer Smoke Warfighter mags, Eddie. Just wish they weren't so expensive.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Lancer warfighters are good mags, just not commonly used for competition because of the lack of extensions, like PMags have.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, as I mentioned, I don't know much about this platform. When it comes to mags, what is an extension?

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
20,30, and 40rnd Pmags are all I have used for 3gun the last 5yrs. See with extensions and some not. Same 10 mags to BTW. I may replace my 30's soon since they get used the most but Pmags just work.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually, I had to go with the ASC Stainless Steel magazine because I'm seating my bullets at a 2.314" OAL. The ASC is the only mag that will hold a bullet that long.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Chris54326 said:
Actually, I had to go with the ASC Stainless Steel magazine because I'm seating my bullets at a 2.314" OAL. The ASC is the only mag that will hold a bullet that long.
Holy crap, what a waste of time and effort. In a mag fed gun, of a standard platform, for a standard common cartridge, OAL simply has absolutely zero value. Use PMags. Your only goal is reliability and durability. You’re shooting an inherently accurate cartridge. OAL is meaningless.

Latest posts