30-30 or 308 for young hunter?

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
The one problem I have with the 30-30 round is the single action lever guns they usually come in. Having that super light trigger with it locked and cocked meant you had to be super careful with trigger discipline. A lot of the guys I know that used lever guns would keep the hammer down, and only cock it right before they would shoot. I'd say a bolt gun or semiauto .308 would be better suited for a newer shooter. Having a safety is a nice thing.

dennishoddy

CD POWELL said:
My son used a .243 to take this one last Saturday.
2f3358a43aa892117329902ad0cd41ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats to your son taking a really nice buck! Was it his first?

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks! He was happy. It is his 4th one. I'm glad he is getting bigger, we had to drag this one over a half mile, it's tough on an old man, lol.

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Lol, I didn't notice it till the next day. The brush was super thick and it was DARK out. He was on the edge of a creek bank that dropped off about 15-20 feet. I was actually standing upright when I took the pic. Also natures life & death struggles were being carried out all around us. About 6 Owls were hooting like crazy, coons were squalling, coyotes were howling and yipping and a bunch of noises I couldn't even figure out. I've spent a Lot of time in the woods at night and I've never heard anything like that night. It was pretty surreal and amazing. I'm just glad the headlamps didn't go out, lol.

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry, I didn't mean to hijack the thread, back to the op's question. I've been impressed with the .243. I got him a remington 700 sps youth in .243 20" barrel. It shoots great. He has taken 4 deer with it and this was the first one that didn't drop were it stood. It was about a 300 yard shot though. Hornady 95 grain SST's. He has outgrown the stock but I've got a couple of demo stocks from Manners that will be here tomorrow to see which one he wants to upgrade to.

SGoodwin

Active Fanatic
.243 should be just fine for him. He can move up later on when he gets really comfortable. I started off with a .270 myself. I didn't really get into hunting until high school though.

X-ray gun

Fanatic
Hey that's a great looking buck!
I finally got my son a rifle it's a pre remington 1995 in 44 mag.Hope he has some luck over the holiday break.
Sorry that's 1895.

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
I've always wanted an 1895 in .44 mag. Best of luck to him! We are going out one last time next weekend, he wants to get one more doe this season. It's seems that the last 4-5 years I have been relegated to guide duty, lol. No regrets it's been fun!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
If the hunting is anything like where I grew up that 44 should be plenty good enough!

I just screwed a new barrel on an action and it happens to be a 243 Winchester :) doubt the safe will ever be without a 243 from now on! there are several other calibers in there but the 243 just fits so many different spots it's a hard round to beat. No good reason to move up in caliber well unless your gonna shoot a buffalo I'd probably think the 243 may be a bit small BUT like all calibers if you put the right bullet in the right spot it will do the job. Sorry just have a serious soft spot for that caliber. Later,

Kirk

Latest posts