30-30 or 308 for young hunter?

X-ray gun

Fanatic
Thinking of picking up a rifle for my son to hunt with.thought I would get some advice on caliber choice. So any and all would be appreciated. Thanks

X-ray gun

Fanatic
Thanks he is 13 and pretty big, I don't want him be intimidated. I also I don't want him to out grow the gun. I have seen many dad's and sons at gun shows trying to sell 243 looking for a bigger caliber. I was favoring the 308 in that regard also the ammo price isn't bad.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I was about to say .243. What do you intend the rifle for? For deer hunting in Oklahoma, a .243 won't be outgrown. If you go west to the mountains, well it's a bit different.

dennishoddy

I'd certainly recommend the .308 as well, loaded down.
I'd also say that the .243 shooting a 100 grain is certainly going to put down a deer just as fast as a .308.

I've been shooting a .243WSSM this season. Dropped three in their tracks. One at 433 yds. Its all about putting that bullet where it belongs.

wixthedog

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll say what Hoddy just said, a 223 or a 243 is great. Shot placement is critical but when done right they drop without issue. It teaches accuracy and if that doesn't work it teaches tracking!

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Buy a 308 and a suppressor. Recoil problem goes away. The AAC quick connect makes the suppressor good for multiple guns.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm probably one of the biggest 243 fans out there! everyone says the little 243.... BS! the light recoil means you can actually work on accuracy and marksmanship as your not really worrying about the rifle kicking the **** out of ya SO that means more than likely the bullet will go where aimed. Now this is just me but with a 100r bullet I'd not go over 500 yards on deer, is that saying it won't work? nope! I just feel that is pushing the bullets capabilities. The 30/30's I've shot kick harder than the 308's I've shot and well more deer have probably been killed with a 30/30 I just think it's a turd, the 308 well I shoot out to 1K often with mine and it does fine! deer well I've not yet broke the 500 yard barrier yet but I'm sure it would be fine out to 800 yards with a 175 weight bullet but your drops when you get out that far well look at a rainbow... the 308 is right there where you could miss if your range was 25 yards off so for a hunting rifle I'd still give the nod to the 243.

I used to know a couple of guides that took folks on Elk hunts and they both carried a 243, right now I shoot deer and pigs with a 223 loaded with 75gr bullets and don't have any issue so in all actuality the 243 is actually a pretty big round for Oklahoma deer! IF it were me and I was going to purchase a rifle for deer hunting I'd go with a Savage Mod 10, 11, 12, get a good stock, good scope base and rings and a GOOD scope... go buy a mess of those plastic army men set them up from 60 yards out to 100 yards and let your boy have at it (shooting paper is boring) and a hint for the 243 is the 80gr bullet is all you'll need :) these deer around here are not much bigger than a German shepard anyway lol. Later,

Kirk

X-ray gun

Fanatic
Thanks for the feed back. And don't get me wrong I'm a fan of 243 for sure but to get the much need practice 243 might be a little more expensive than the 308.i appreciate the comments.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like you want a 308 lol as for cost that makes no sense as the 243 is normally about $2 cheaper than the 308 BUT hey it's your money :) either way good luck and have fun. Later,

Kirk

X-ray gun

Fanatic
Well sir ypu would be right I am particularly interstellar in the 308 but I do belive you may be miss informed or maybe be perhaps I am who knows. But for basic hunting rounds alone the 308 is running about 1.09 per round and for comparable same brand (whinchester) hinting rounds I'm looking at 2.70 a round. Please if you have some place that is cheaper that information would be appreciated. Thanks

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Just look at the MidwayUSA website and compare the two, it's not that difficult and you will find for argument sides there is no real difference in price! now you can compare say PRIVI 243 to Federal Premium with Barnes loaded bullets and sure there's going to be a huge difference! so if we look at the Winchester plain white box stuff:
243 = $20.49
308 = $21.99

Or say the Federal stuff:
243 = $14.46
308 = $19.99 BUT the 243 was on sale :)

Winchester Extreme
243 = $19.99
308 = $19.99

Not really sure where you got your info but I'm sure if I did some digging around I could probably save some more pennies. I don't shoot factory ammo so my handholds while I can tune them to my rifles they are a bit cheaper than the stuff you purchase off the shelf and I can make them do what I want as I can assemble the loads to suit my situations, I have a load for the 308 that has less recoil than my 243 so if you would start reloading the world could be your oyster lol. Misinformed? well that's what the site is for to point folks in the right direction as there are some folks out there that are rather very knowledgeable about rifles ;) Later,

Kirk

X-ray gun

Fanatic
Ok I'm sold now I just need to find a blr in 243. Hahaha I really do like the 243 and 22-250
For that matter.Thanks for your help I really wasn't trying to be a pain in the ass about it.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
22-250 is another awesome deer round, the one I had was loaned to many new deer hunters with great success. No worries about being a pain as sometimes you have to argue a bit to get a clear answer. Honestly I'd look into reloading your own ammo as you can tailor rounds to suit your needs. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

I've taken several deer with the .22-250. There is a time when an ultra fast little bullet with do just as much if not more damage on a deer vs a larger slower caliber.
I've personally autopsied over 200 deer, so experience seeing up close and personal what different rounds do internally makes one understand why there are so many different styles/types of bullets out there now, and why they perform differently on deer sized animals.
I was particularly impressed with the deer I took tonight with a .45LC pistol round. The Hornady SST is designed for maximum expansion at pistol velocities. It made a silver dollar size hole going in, messed up the innards pretty good, and exited. Thats the way I like it. two great big blood trails to follow.

Along the same line of thought, a buddy shot a deer with a pistol tonight. 7X57 rifle round in a Magnum Research single shot. He hit her at 100 yds with a factory round designed to be used in a rifle. She ran over 1/4 mile in waist high grass, finally getting into the woods, crossing a creek and expiring.
Took us over 4 hours to follow the tiny specks of a blood trail through the grass/woods half the time after dark tonight, and finally found her. The bullet did not perform because it was designed for rifle velocities.

I guess my whole story is about making sure one selects a gun, and ammo combo that will do the job. Cheaper is not always better, and it's every hunter's responsibility to make sure they select their gear that will result in a quick humane kill on the animal they are hunting.

Hope this helped.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
If you already had a 308 I would say go with it, but the advice above is solid I would go 243.
The 243 will do anything the 308 can do with less recoil, which is great for a knew shooter.
Kirk & Dennis gave great reasons for the 243.
Another side note in long range shooting, the current trend is 6.5 Creedmore & 6 Creedmore (must be a reloader) which is equivalent to 243. The reasoning is low recoil while shooting off barricades, allowing the shooter to see impacts on the steel plates. These guys shoot out to 1300 yds in matches. The reason you don't see many 243 in long range matches is the bullet length is limited to the magazine size. (Another Discussion)
I have also saw Kirk with a 243,on a calm morning, hit a 5/8 rebar @ 500 on the first try spinning it round & round. I have not taken Kirk back to that range since. LoL

243 is my vote,if need bigger get a second rifle later on.

X-ray gun

Fanatic
Hey thanks for the great advice guys. I have been shooting firearms most of my life. I just don't have any hunting experience. Thought I would ask advise rather then spend money twice.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Don't skimp on ammunition for hunting. The bullet is the one tangible thing that connects you with the animal. The rifle is delivery system. The bullet does the killing.

Cheap ammo isn't always a bargain. I never understood how people could pay loads of money for a rifle and then be worried about a few dollars more when it comes to buying ammunition for hunting. A box of 20 rounds may last several years of hunting if you only shoot one or two animals a year.

Trunk Monkey

Well-Known Fanatic
My son used a .243 to take this one last Saturday.
2f3358a43aa892117329902ad0cd41ba.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk