30-06 that wont hold zero

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
Rifle: Mid 1990's Savage stainless steel weather warrior 30-06 great condition
Scope: New Redfield 4-16x40 Revolution
Mounts: Weaver 4 screw

So I live in California and have to hunt with lead free ammo. My issue is when trying to zero my rifle on a lead sled at the 100 yard range I'm shootin 4-5 inch groups with 10 inch flyers. I have tried Remmington 150 FMJ, S&B 150, and the new Hornady 165 Supperformance GMX. I cannot get a tight group for the life of me even when using the lead sled. I check the scope mount it is tight as can be, and have switched up different ammo even going to normal lead core to see if it makes a difference. If you have any ideas on how I can improve my accuracy please let me know.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
You probably would have already noticed this if it was that obvious, but check make sure the stock is firmly secured to the action. I was losing accuracy at a match and had no idea why. When I went to put my rifle in my bag at the end of the match, I noticed the barrel wiggle a bit. I snugged down the screws that had no issues after that.

This sounds more like a scope failure problem. You might try mounting another scope on the rifle and see if the groups improve.

silver star

Well-Known Fanatic
Since you asked for any ideas I had similar experience, decades ago, similar to Phillips.
I was shooting a custom bolt action 06.
Turned out the barrel had not been bedded properly.
I guess age of wood and or lack of/or over use of oil could contribute to this.
Thru trial and error I used strips of cloth to tighten the barrel to stock not knowing if that would fix the problem or not.
It did, I'm not sure what material should be used long term.
The gun was a tac driver after that.

dennishoddy

Like the others, more than likely a bedding problem, or possibly a previous owner installing stock screws that are too long, putting pressure on the barrel? Really scrub the barrel for build up on the lands.
That model Savage at 100 yds should be putting out groups well under 2".

BLR

Well-Known Fanatic
Had the exact same problem on a Remington model 7 22-250 with the same scope you have. I changed the scope to a Nikon coyote and had no problems after that.

nwlr82

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I think it is the Scope. Took it back to the range and shot a 6 rounds into a 5 inch group with two flyers one 8 inches above group and one 5 inches low and left of the group. This was all done on a lead sled. Also the main group was around 2 inches high of center but the windage was good on average. SO I went down 8 clicks at 1/4 MOA each click. I shot another 5 rounds and to my surprise I was now shooting a 5 inch group 1 inch high and 3 inches right. Sooo with this I 'm guessing the scope is bad and will be sending it back for replacement. I will revist the forum in the future with my results. Hopefully I dont have to go through 3 different types of ammo to get good results.

Kelso_G17

Fanatic
Could be scope, but I would look more likely to your Weaver mounts, or the manner in which they're mounted.

You could try swapping out for a different brand of rings to narrow it down to the scope. Careful and deliberate 15-17 lbs of torque, equally applied to each screw like you would change a tire. I've had problems of over and under-torque in the past with similar results.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
You should clarify the torque. That is in-lbs, not ft-lbs. scope base should be 25 in-lbs with loctite on the screws.

Latest posts