3-gun Rifle Scope Question

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
All you 3-gunners out there. I am finishing my build and its optics time. Question - do you ever use the illumination on a 1-4x type scope? If not is the Nikon M223 a good purchase or spend the extra hundred or two and get a Vortex/Burris

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
for a truly top notch build, I'd start at, in no particular order, Meopta, Trijicon, Vortex.

Those are available from 700.00ish to 1100.00ish, but you'll never need to upgrade.

trapr

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
THAT being said - Mr Trapr you did not answer my question - is Illumination something you use in a standard course of fire - or usually not?

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
my personal opinion on illumination is that TOO much emphasis is placed on its small advantage.

take for instance: you're on the line, ready to go, the buzzer goes off, you throw the rifle to your shoulder, and you illum. isn't on, what is the first thing you do?? stop, and turn it on, remount the gun, its still not on, check to see why?? and then realize you can still shoot because there is a black dot or cross inside your scope that tells you where the bullets will land, so you get back on the gun and finish the CoF. How much time did you WASTE fiddling with your illum.??????....3secs., 5 secs.????

Use illum. when you can't see your crosshairs or dot, do not rely on it to shoot. How many times have you seen an Open pistol shooter have to turn on the dot when the target was 10yds or closer??? At that distance you should be able to look thru the scope and hit your target w/o illum. i would recommend that if you are a open pistol shooter that you practice that.

Now back to rifle, with electronics its not IF they will fail its WHEN, normally its when you're not ready. The biggest thing I see shooters do with an illum. scope is they practice shooting close stuff with the illum. they say its faster, well is it faster because of the illum. or is it faster because you practice it???? I would bet that if they practiced w/o the illum. they would see just how fast they can really be, illum. or not.

So, your original query, I think illum. is highly overrated!!!

trapr

Chambers

actual GM
I find myself not using the illumination on my scope.

Try that Burris tac-30 so I can play with it. :) I've tinkered with Tony's M223 and it was nice. I'm not a huge fan of the 1" tube, though.

Those BDC reticles are for the birds...

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Have not shot 3 gun, but I have shot the practical rifle matches at Oil Capitol, and I never used the illumination on the scope I had at the time. It's a feature I like, but more for hunting than for comps.

aldrin44

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a Burris XTR. The illumination washes out in the sun so I never even turn it on.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The need for illumination depends on the reticle in the scope. If you have a busy little drop compensator reticle like my BRT in my Swaro The dot is a must. If you have a big circle and a dot reticle like my millets you dont need illumination as much. I shoot my optic guns like an eotech on the close range stuff. Both eyes open and I use a target focused sight picture. Once the dot or reticle with a distinct aiming point comes into the center of the target its trigger time. You need to be able to see the reticle or dot fast even if it's in a blur. If tour aiming point in the optic is not clean and distinct you will be slow searching for your aiming point in the scope.

If I was you I'd borrow one if the millets off my guns and shoot a few matches and the feel for that kind of speed shooting. Once you shoot like that for a few months you can shoulder the plethora of optics we have at our matches and choose one for yourself.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Trapr - I placed the order with them a couple weeks ago - they charged my card - then called the next day - out of stock till may - the mai issue I have with SWFA - they do not show if a product is in or out of stock on their website. FAIL.

JT - What if I get this job and move to Atlanta - can I just mail it back to you in a year or so - even better - meet ya at the pro am in Florida :-D

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Brandon, here is another option. I got this one for about $379 from SWFA a couple months ago on sale. 4A illuminated reticle and very good coated Japanese glass. The illumination is visible on a bright day, but you have to crank it all the way up. It's also a nice sharp 1MOA dot. I like it, just about like Anderson's Trijicon, though his is a true 1X, where this one is 1.25. B)

Clicky

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Well I heard that FOV is king and that you really want the best FOV you can get - does the 1.25 vs 1x make a big diff?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I heard that FOV is king and that you really want the best FOV you can get - does the 1.25 vs 1x make a big diff?
Well there is some difference, obviously. But it still has a 30mm tube and I can run it with both eyes open on the close stuff.
A master class shooter might be hampered just a bit, but I don't think it slows me down any. I have that covered on my own, with no help needed! lol

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
What's everyone's take on this scope?

http://www.bushnelloutdoorproducts.eu/www_bushnell/uk/produits/all/riflescopes/elite-6500/651624e/

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
These are a darn fine scope but you might wait just a bit as Red Neck Tactical is working with Bushnell to enhance this "particular" scope....if they will listen! KurtM

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
JT - What if I get this job and move to Atlanta - can I just mail it back to you in a year or so - even better - meet ya at the pro am in Florida :-D

If you land that job you can get a TR24 or meopta like Trapr recommended!

What's everyone's take on this scope?

http://www.bushnelloutdoorproducts.eu/www_bushnell/uk/produits/all/riflescopes/elite-6500/651624e/

These are a darn fine scope but you might wait just a bit as Red Neck Tactical is working with Bushnell to enhance this "particular" scope....if they will listen! KurtM

Damn! This one looks promising. An word on cost? I may have found my scope for my new LOKI rifle especially if it get the RNT seal of approval.

Latest posts