3 gun pistol question!

bonesaw5

Fanatic
Hey all, What's the deal with the 1911 style pistols like the STI's and Preditors? What caliber do most people use? Do they put you in open or is there a way to run them in Tac division? What kind of capacity and are we looking at? I use a glock 34, is there any other advantages other than inherant accuracy to the 1911's?

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm no expert but I'll tell you the reasons I want a 2011 to replace my glock 34.

1. Trigger is better on the 2011. 
2. The 2011 is not plastic and has more weight to it which reduces the recoil slightly
3. I like the grip on the 2011 a lot better than the glock grip.
4. They look bad ass and that's what this sport is all about according to JT!  Lol

As for caliber looks like most run the 9mm in 3gun and with a 140mm mag you get 20+1 capacity not much different than a glock with a base pad extension. 
Don't think you get put into open unless you are running a red dot or a comp on your pistol. 

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
You're not in open with a pistol until you use a red dot or compensator, as mentioned.

In 3 gun a 9mm will give you more rounds and not hurt your score due to it being a 2 on paper type scoring.
For uspsa a .40 will yield you a better score due to A, B, C, & D zone scoring with a major and minor scoring factor.
2011's rule the sport due mainly to the trigger. You just can't get the same crisp trigger out of a glock.

Chambers

actual GM
They are heavier than GLOCKs and M&Ps and have lighter triggers, which pull straight back and don't hinge or pivot. That's the whole reason they are easier to shoot well.

Typically, tuned .40 mags get 21+1.
Tuned 9mm mags can get 24+1.

bonesaw5

Fanatic
No way 24+1......ME WANT ONE!!!!.... Ok now recomendations please.... think entry level I'm poor...but have a sweet Dan Wesson I'm hoping to sell so, it that goes what would $1200 bucks get me? I'm thinking 9mm...

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
There have been an unusual number of 2011s lately on Enos' forum, and a couple for sale here. You can get a new one at a good price from Dawson Precision, also.

bonesaw5

Fanatic
NICE! so just to stay within the confines of 3-gun law or USPSA.... looking at max 140mm mag length= 20+1 for 9mm right?

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Yea get a sti My wife wants a tactical in .40, so shes getting one for xmas. That way I can spend some money on new toys for me. Dont worry about the cost may as well run up a big debt while your alive and worry about it when your dead

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
9mm is great for capacity, but remember you'll be at a scoring disadvantage in uspsa due to it getting minor scoring factor.

bonesaw5

Fanatic
9mm is great for capacity, but remember you'll be at a scoring disadvantage in uspsa due to it getting minor scoring factor.

So, just to get into your head...you do both USPSA comps. and 3-guns comps and stay with the same .40 for both cause you know the gun/ It's darn expensive to have both? Or would you switch into 9mm in 3-gun for more compacity?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Not sure how much an additional slide/barrel combo with different mags would cost but that might be an option.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
So, just to get into your head...you do both USPSA comps. and 3-guns comps and stay with the same .40 for both cause you know the gun/ It's darn expensive to have both? Or would you switch into 9mm in 3-gun for more compacity?

Currently I shoot an M&P 9pro because I was trying to focus more on 3-gun this last season. This next season though I plan to do more uspsa along with 3-gun so I'll be getting a 40pro when my wallet says I can.
It will be the same gun basically, just different calibers so training and going back and forth from one to the other will have very minor negative effects, if any.
If you reload you can Taylor your loads to have close to the same recoil feel.

Lots of people use the same .40 cal for various shooting sports.

If I had thought more about it, I would have just purchased the .40 to begin with and spent the money being used on an extra pistol on better reloading equipment and components.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
My KKM conversion barrel just came in yesterday for my M&P 40 Pro. I just starting out but I wanted something I could go back and forth with. I can use the same pistol so the only difference would be recoil.

Rickc1st

Well-Known Fanatic
They are heavier than GLOCKs and M&Ps and have lighter triggers, which pull straight back and don't hinge or pivot. That's the whole reason they are easier to shoot well.

Typically, tuned .40 mags get 21+1.
Tuned 9mm mags can get 24+1.

I would listen to Chambers if he says you can get 24 out of it with some work I'd beileve him.

Redline

Well-Known Fanatic
Hmmm.... ok on this STI edge vid. on youtube it says for 9mm 140mm =20+1 are there other mags that I can squeeze a few more rounds in and within the 140mm parameter?

factory mags hold what you are seeing, tuned mags with grams guts and dawson pads = the higher capacities mentioned above

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Well something to keep in mind here is that very few of the big 3-gun matches "calibrate" their steel and don't always hold to the protest process that USPSA has about calling for a calibration. Yes it is nice to have 3 extra bullets sometimes, but after playing the "that isn't calibrated" game a few times. I stick with 40 for all matches and at 165+ power factor.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Well something to keep in mind here is that very few of the big 3-gun matches "calibrate" their steel and don't always hold to the protest process that USPSA has about calling for a calibration. Yes it is nice to have 3 extra bullets sometimes, but after playing the "that isn't calibrated" game a few times. I stick with 40 for all matches and at 165+ power factor.

I'd like to have a 9mm 2011, but this is the specific reason I don't mind shooting .40 major at everything.

Latest posts