3 Gun Gear Questions

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Trying to figure what it would take to get into the sport.

I currently have these guns for the categories.

Rifle - AR-15 16" DTI middy HBAR, YHM rifle rail, A2 stock, RRA 2stg trigger, 4x scope. I have 4-30rd mags, 1-20, 1-10.

I know the barrel probably leaves a *lot* to be desired, and the gun is way too muzzle heavy. The scope is cheap, but there. What optic is recommend on a budget? Is a sling used? How many mag holders are recommended? I have none.

Pistol - Glock 19 Meprolight 3dot night sights, 6-15rd mags. I have a Don Hume JIT belt holster, does NOT have much retention. I have 1 leather mag holder.

Shotgun - Rem 1100, 12ga 2 3/4" 25" barrel with PolyChoke, no extension. Assume I know *nothing* about this gun, and you wouldn't be far wrong. I got it on a deal from a coworker. I have taken it down, cleaned and oiled it, and it functions. I don't know what the wear parts are or how to check if they are needing replacement. Aside from a mag extension (which I already planned on doing), what should I do? I also have no shell carriers either.

Budget is tight for me, so priorities first. I'll need to save up for any big ticket items.

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
The first thing you need to do is drag all this stuff out and come shoot. Get Troy at triple crown to make you a holster for your pistol and you should be able to borrow whatever else your missing. Don't buy a bunch of gear until you try some out at a match and see what works for you.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Beyond guns and immediate gear, what other gear is most recommended I bring?

Another easy one: is there a directory of match announcements/locations?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
You basically need a holster for your pistol and ammo for your 3 guns. We all went through getting started and not having all the gear you need. The beauty of the people that shoot is that they are almost all willing to share. I personally have a backup Bebelli M1 or two, a Loki or Stag 3G rifle and an Accurate Iron Glock that anyone is welcome to anytime. I also have extra caddy's mag pouches, and holsters for these guns. Just say the word and ill bring you what you need.

Here is my current list of gear. It includes just about everything you could ever WANT for 3 gun. It is excessive!!! By no means to you NEED all of this. What can I say I'm a bit of a gear queer.

http://3gunnation.com/shooters/shtr_jesse_tischauser

Here are a couple match listing threads.

http://www.okshooters.com/showthread.php?78098-Oklahoma-and-Surrounding-Area-Match-List/page6

http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9-oklahoma-and-surrounding-area-matches/

BLR

Well-Known Fanatic
I shot my first 3 gun match at okcgc in january (sucked but hey i got the first one out of the way) these guys are not kidding about helping you get started Jesse,Wall, Mike and all of the other guys i had any conversations with were very willing to help. Even borrowed a few things from Jesse. When they say "just come out and shoot we will help with the stuff you need" unlike alot of people these guys mean it! Word of warning it is addicting and ton of fun! Hope to see you at a match soon.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I'm more than willing to share my rifle, shotgun, and caddys to anyone wanting to participate. I could even bring an extra pistol, holster, mags and mag holder. It's a Beretta 92fs so it has the DA first trigger pull, but it'll get you in the game. Just squad up with me and we'll swap out guns/equipment. Bring the ammo to feed em is all I ask.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, if I'm reading it right, the next 3 gun is the 4th Saturday @ OKCGC?

I've found ammo lists. Looks like the most critical things I don't have at all are the mag pouches / shell holders.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Back pocket makes an excellent rifle mag holder and there are lots of folks that'll let you borrow shotgun caddies. About the only thing that's user specific are the pistol mag holders, and I'm sure there are some extra glock 9mm holders around here somewhere.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
4th Saturday is OKC gun club, 4th Sunday is USSA, then 1st Sunday is 3 Mils Right.

All 3 matches are excellent! The match at 3 Mils Right is all shot in natural terrain like the video of wormydog which makes it especially excellent for anyone that hasn't experienced Mo's gulley runs yet.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I don't 3-gun but I can attest that when Jesse, Matt and Tony (Wall) say they will loan you stuff to get started, they will!

It sounds like you are pretty close to all the stuff you need to play. You have the guns, work with these guys and beg, borrow or steal some mag pouches and give it a try.

WHEN you get ready to buy some holsters and mag pouches check with Troy at Triple Crown holsters (also a moderator)

Latest posts