3 Gun equipment queston

Dancer4Life

Long Live The Republic, God Bless America!
Hey experts,
Here is another question from a complete newby. What do I need to compete in a 3 gun match?

I have many Glock pistols and a few 1911's. Was thinking of using my G34 for the handgun. Would this be a good choice?
Rounds of ammo?

I have a custom AR but was not built for 3 gun. Was looking at the Stag 3g AR. Any insight on this rifle or better suggestions? Rounds of ammo?

All I have in the shotgun department is a few Remington 870 tacticals and a 870 pump express. So obviously I need a good low to midrange shotgun. Suggestion? Rounds of shells?

Any other equipment suggestions would be apprreciated. Thanks so much!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I use my G34 for 3 gun and USPSA production. Usually 75 rounds of pistol will get you through an OKCGC 3 gun match. 200 rounds for USPSA.

Any AR as long as it looks scary to liberals. Usually 75 rounds will get you through a match. I don't have personal experience with the Stag, but I've heard its an excellent rifle out of the box.

The word on the street is the Stoeger M3000 is the new entry level shotgun. If you only have the pistol and rifle just show up and someone will let you borrow their shotgun. You're welcome to borrow mine.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
jeffhughes said:
The G34 is great for 3 Gun. A Stag 3G is a great way to go. For shotgun, don't dick around, buy a Benelli. Buy a used M1 if you don't want to go with a M2 or Vinci.
good advice

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
Shane P said:
I use my G34 for 3 gun and USPSA production. Usually 75 rounds of pistol will get you through an OKCGC 3 gun match. 200 rounds for USPSA. Any AR as long as it looks scary to liberals. Usually 75 rounds will get you through a match. I don't have personal experience with the Stag, but I've heard its an excellent rifle out of the box. The word on the street is the Stoeger M3000 is the new entry level shotgun. If you only have the pistol and rifle just show up and someone will let you borrow their shotgun. You're welcome to borrow mine.
OMG you are not suggesting he get one of those black army machine guns with the detachable high capacity magazine or death enhancing fore grip, threaded barrel and shoots those bullets with the coating that penetrates 1400 inches of steel and bullet proof vests ( i heard if the whole police force was lined up with their vests on one bullet could kill them all).... what will we do, for the love of god we better pass some laws so criminals cant get these!

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
better advice:
If its only a matter of a couple hundred dollars, buy an M2 over an M1.
haha this is true, i just did this actually, bought the M1 and it was pissin me off so i bought a brand new m2 and sent it to mike without even taking out of the case...

Dancer4Life

Long Live The Republic, God Bless America!
Thanks for the info and advice guys and a special thanks to Shane P for offering to let me borrow his shotgun. I may have to take you up on it.
Now lets talk ammo. What does everyone use as far as ammo goes? brand, grain, shotshells etc......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ian Swope

Well-Known Fanatic
Dancer4Life said:
Thanks for the info and advice guys and a special thanks to Shane P for offering to let me borrow his shotgun. I may have to take you up on it. Now lets talk ammo. What does everyone use as far as ammo goes? brand, grain, shotshells etc...... Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I can't speak for any of the hardcore pros, but I shoot anything I can get my hands on from bulk reloads, to Tulamo crap to whatever Wally World has available. Especially in the last year or so. Haven't had too many issues.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The close up stuff just shoot what's reliable in your gun.
Distance shots with the rifle, a lot of guys do 62 grain handloads or match ammo that shoots well in their gun. Just do your research on where your slugs and rifle shots hit.
check the spread pattern of your shotgun too with whichever choke you choose to use.
Most use light modified.

cajunautoxer

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a buddy that has the Stag 3g and loves it. Just change the comp on it and your gtg. As far as ammo for it you'll have to shoot it and find out. My friends shoots the high 60s grains better than the 70s. Why not use the AR you have and figure out what glass you want to run instead?

Shot gun it's either M2 or Versa Max. Granted VM is new so it's not tried and true yet. Shell you gotta shoot it and see what it likes. Then you got to figure out if your gonna load weak hand, deuces, or quads. I went from weak hand to deuces. Don't have the time to do quads

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
So would someone be able to shoot with lets say a m&p 9c, a standard 16" AR-15 and a Tristar Raptor?

Yes

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Docneeley

Well-Known Fanatic
For now just show up with what you have and shoot and learn. G34 is what I shoot (have a new STI I'm getting the feel of), Winchester Black Shadow with a Nordic tube and a M-2 Benelli enroute, and the stag 3G is great. But go and have fun while you gear up.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I highly recommend the Stag 3G with a Seekins Precision ATC comp. Although if you already have an AR use that for a few matches so you can use your cash to get a Benelli M2 now.

The G34 is probably the must popular pistol in 3 gun. It can be upgraded but shoot it as is for now.

I usually bring 150 rounds of each gun to a club match and take half back home with me.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
gondo said:
Of course lmos is awesome, but if you are just getting started this is way way down the list
^^^^What he said^^^. Change comp shoot matches. Lots of matches.

Stranger

Fanatic
Glock 17, Remmy 1100, and FAL are my typical 3-gun choices.

The heavier rifle puts me at a distinct disadvantage. I should switch to an AR, but… I just don't want to.

Train like you fight.

Latest posts