3 Gun Buck Shot

Larry Mullican

Well-Known Fanatic
I got to shoot my second 3 Gun at OKCGC on the 27th and had a blast. Hooked!! I have a question in regards to using Buck Shot. Does the pellet count matter or is their a preferred or mandatory shot shell?
Also is there a suggested brand for low recoil and a recommended place to order from.
Thanks Larry

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
2 3/4" 9 pellet 00. Low recoil preferred. Winchester ranger low recoil has worked well for me. SG ammo up in Stillwater (Internet only orders) is a good source.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Federal premium Personal defense w/flight control was 1145 fps for paper targets or federal premium or if your shooting heavy steel...

Federal premium vital Shok w/flight control was 1320 fps or federal premium.

End of story!

backer

Well-Known Fanatic
Flight Control is what you want, something like this.

fedtac12ga.jpg

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/25rds-12-ga-federal-le-tactical-low-recoil-8-pell-oo-buck/cName/12-gauge-2-34-buckshot

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
More to the point, 8 or 9 pellet 000 or 00. No other types of buckshot unless using a 20 Gage. So no more pellets than 9.

LoneStarSOF

Active Fanatic
Can someone explain what all that means.

What is flight controle?
What is the 00 and pellet count?
What slugs do yall suggest?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Flight control is a type of wad that federal uses to control the pattern of their buckshot=good stuff.
00 is the size of the buckshot & the pellet count is 9.
Everybody has their own preference in slugs, you really just need to try several types to see which you like best.
Most guys use low recoil slugs & buckshot.
I've been using Federal but I've got a couple other I'm going to try out.

LoneStarSOF

Active Fanatic
Thanks Wall,

I am shooting my first 3gun match Saturday at TDSA in Ferris TX. I didn't buy flight controle, maybe I will hit up bass pro and see if I can find some before.

jtischauser

Flight control is the only way to go for buckshot. They make two different version as far as velocity goes. One is in the 1300 fps range and the other is inteh 1150 fps range.

The softst shooting slugs are the fiocchi. They are so soft though that they don't run in all guns. Test them all before you buy a case.

dpd0710

Well-Known Fanatic
We bought some Hornady low recoil, flite control wad, 8 pellet OO buck for my agency. Great tight pattern, all the way back to 25 yards. It works great in our 870's but won't reliably cycle my Mossy 930.
We also got some Hornady light magnums of the same stuff, and it works that semi like a dream.

dpd0710

Well-Known Fanatic
Actually Hornady calls theirs a Versa-tite wad. The low recoil is supposed to be 1100 fps, and the light magnums are 1600 fps

dpd0710

Well-Known Fanatic
The first time I saw this stuff shot on the range, I was doing a shotgun class, with some officers from another agency. I was having them pattern their shotguns, starting at 7 yards and working back. The officers using the Hornady stuff shot one round, and I saw one ragged round hole appear in their silhouette targets. I saw that their hulls were blue, and I told them they accidently shot a slug, Then they showed me the Hornady low recoil TAP ammo they were using.
I made my Chief order some that week, haha.

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
I bought some 'Royal Buck' brand from Cabela's for 17.00 a box. It's 00 and 1345 FPS. Anybody have any experience with these?

jtischauser

I had to go to a local Dick's sporting goods store last year and buy 00 buck for a shotgun match. It was cheapest thing they had was some royal buck on clearance for like $2.50-3.50/box of 5. It ran fine in my gun but the pattern was huge, somewhat random, and not so tight in my gun compared to the Federal Flight Control I usually shoot. It also hits harder too.

Latest posts