280 Remington 7600 Distance

Willie16wild

New Fanatic
I have had this gun for awhile and I finally mounted a scope on it and toke it out to the range to try it today. It toke me awhile to get it zeroed at 100 yards but I finally got it. And today's winds was the worst for shooting. I was shooting 1 1/2 inches above the the center of the target. I will say now I am no professional but just a beginner at long range shooting. For a little more info. My gun has a 22in barrel. And I think the federal fusion and Hornady ammunition was all tested with a 24inch barrel.

For ammunition today I was using Federal Fusion 140 gr. Seemed like a good bullet but the BC is only .39 on them. This was the only ammunition available at my store.

I wanted the Hornady 139 gr SST Superformance but I will have to order them. They seemed like the best bullet I can buy off the shelf for my gun.

Then i went and put a target up at 300 yards. I aimed on the center of the target and hit 32 inches below the center of the target.

For 400 yards. I aimed on the center of the target and hit 61 inches below the target.

To me it seems like the bullet is dropping a lot. I mean a little to much. But I need to ask some other people's opinions on this. I really need some answers to see if this all sounds right.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
something is amiss. Find a ballistic chart for the calibre and bullet. I would expect Performance should be similar to a .270 Win. or 30-06. I don't think it should drop very much more than 6-8 in. at 300 yards if it is 1.5 in. high. at 100 yards.

Willie16wild

New Fanatic
Hi there thanks for replying so fast.

I am new at all this so just bare with me I guess.

The federal fusion ammunition is 2990. I am pretty sure that velocity is with a 24" barrel. I have a 22" barrel.

dennishoddy

Looked that round up. The duck is right. You have roughly a 200 yd zero. At 300 its 7.9, and at 400 its 23.1.

You need to put the remaining ammo through a chronograph, and see what the actual velocity is. If its way below factory specs, contact the mfg. In the meantime, buy some new ammo and try that.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
You're worried about a little wind while these Okies are shooting great groups in the middle of an earthquake.

Something like 500+ earthquakes in north central Oklahoma so far this year and even more scheduled for 2016.

STATE OF OKLAHOMA EARTHQUAKES
2013 - 109 quakes over 3.0
2014 - 585
2015 - USGS projects over 900 for the year.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd zero a bit longer than 100 yards. You'll never use it here, but, if you like to shoot at mid range targets like you were at 400. I zero most of my rifles at 200, you'll be close enough to shoot edible game inside 200 yards with negligible variation. On my .270 I zero at 300 making shooting to 500 easier by making a smaller adjustment. You don't have to sit and turn your turret for 5 minutes prior to making a shot. Don't know what you're hunting or shooting at but, I hope this helps a bit. Also how did you know exactly how low you were hitting? A simple ballistic calculator can get you some dope numbers that will get you close. But remember your B.C. changes with velocity. And if you're shooting up or down hill that will change trajectory as well.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Also don't worry about BC numbers you're not shooting 1000 yards. My .35 Whelen shooting a 250gr at 2710 @ the muzzle shoots as flat as a .308 using Federal Gold Medal Match. Just watch your standard deviation and extreme spread on your chrono a tight group at 100 with a nasty deviation will mean more drop at greater distances and a larger group. I'm getting off my box now.

dennishoddy

Flatland Shooter said:
You're worried about a little wind while these Okies are shooting great groups in the middle of an earthquake.

Something like 500+ earthquakes in north central Oklahoma so far this year and even more scheduled for 2016.

STATE OF OKLAHOMA EARTHQUAKES
2013 - 109 quakes over 3.0
2014 - 585
2015 - USGS projects over 900 for the year.
Thats where I live!

Willie16wild

New Fanatic
Bill Dickinson said:
I'd zero a bit longer than 100 yards. You'll never use it here, but, if you like to shoot at mid range targets like you were at 400. I zero most of my rifles at 200, you'll be close enough to shoot edible game inside 200 yards with negligible variation. On my .270 I zero at 300 making shooting to 500 easier by making a smaller adjustment. You don't have to sit and turn your turret for 5 minutes prior to making a shot. Don't know what you're hunting or shooting at but, I hope this helps a bit. Also how did you know exactly how low you were hitting? A simple ballistic calculator can get you some dope numbers that will get you close. But remember your B.C. changes with velocity. And if you're shooting up or down hill that will change trajectory as well.
I am shooting 25 degrees down hill. For the 300 yard shoot. And maybe 10 to 15 for the 400 yard shoot.

And I had really big 6 foot targets set up at those distances. I stapled my 12" by 18" targets on them at the top. I could see how low I was shooting through the scope. But after I was all done. I went out to the targets and I measured them to get a more precise measurement with a regular tape measure.

I ordered a new chronograph for myself yesterday. It's suppose to arrive tomorrow from UPS. So I am hoping to go shoot tomorrow if I have time.

Another thing Bill. I have another question. I am going to take this rifle out with me hunting this year a long with my other rifle. But anyways my first shot is what is going to count the most.

So when I was shooting at 100 yards 1 1/2" above the center. I would let the gun cool down for about 10 minutes in-between each shoot. It was 26 to 28°F out. But if the barrel is like 60 to 70°F when I go to fire my first shoot. Is there going to be much difference you think.

I will take your advice and go zero the gun in at 200 yards.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
In my opinion you've freaking won the Internet with wanting your first clean cold bore shot being dead on. As far as the temp effects, I can't say yes or no. On one of my rifles yes cold it will be about 3/4 of a minute off but another rifle I have will be dead on and not have a point of impact shift until the second group. You're definitely thinking using the big board to hang the target. If you're really worried about the zero and have plenty of time on your hands, take the rifle to Wilshire and zero it at 100 yards and add 1-1.5 minutes to the elevation. That will help you achieve a reasonable close 200 yard zero. Also take into consideration you'll not likely be shooting from a bench at game. The load in use in my .30-'06 for game up big dear and black bears shoots 1 1/2 inch groups at 100. Not fantastic by any means but I also know I won't be shooting past 400 yards so my group at that distance is 6" if I do my part. That's still good enough to shoot normal sized game.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
where are you hunting? what game? are you getting ready for opening deer season next Monday in Penna?

Willie16wild said:
I am shooting 25 degrees down hill. For the 300 yard shoot. And maybe 10 to 15 for the 400 yard shoot.

And I had really big 6 foot targets set up at those distances. I stapled my 12" by 18" targets on them at the top. I could see how low I was shooting through the scope. But after I was all done. I went out to the targets and I measured them to get a more precise measurement with a regular tape measure.

I ordered a new chronograph for myself yesterday. It's suppose to arrive tomorrow from UPS. So I am hoping to go shoot tomorrow if I have time.

Another thing Bill. I have another question. I am going to take this rifle out with me hunting this year a long with my other rifle. But anyways my first shot is what is going to count the most.

So when I was shooting at 100 yards 1 1/2" above the center. I would let the gun cool down for about 10 minutes in-between each shoot. It was 26 to 28°F out. But if the barrel is like 60 to 70°F when I go to fire my first shoot. Is there going to be much difference you think.

I will take your advice and go zero the gun in at 200 yards.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Old post but... I ran this through Shooter app. If hundred yards dope is correct muzzle velocity would be 987 fps.

If I plug in the 300 yd dope then
100 yd is about 7 inches low &
400 yd would be -52 inch drop.

I am sure you figured this out already but I would recheck your 100 yd zero.
Great job on knowing your 300 & 400 yd zero.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Why is the MV so low it should be between 2700 and 3100 depending on bullet weight. What was the sight height of the point of impact was 7" low at 100 yards.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
From shooting long range I have learned to gather your data points and adjust your velocity so the ballistic app "matches" the real life data.

Bill I was trying to say
Senario 1
in the ballistics app inorder for a +1.5 inch zero at 100 yds the MV would be 987 in order to drop 32" @ 300 yds & 61" @ 400.
Senario 2
Then I plugged in the -32" @ 300 yds with MV 2990. In order to drop 32" @ 300, then the 100 yd dope would be -7 inches.

What I think happened is after getting the one hundred yard dope the vertical turrent was unintentionally moved affecting the 300 & 400 yd dope. The 300 & 400 yd dope matched up nicely @ 2990 if the rifle shot CA. 7 inches low at 100 yds.
IMO.
I never took into account sight height or lower MV do to a 22" barrel.

We are all in agreement that a 1.5" 100 yd zero should drop 7" @ 300 & 19" @ 400 give or take couple inches.

I also agree for a hunting rifle I would go for a 200 yd zero.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I just plugged the initial numbers in more for my curiosity, I am sure OP corrected problem back during hunting season. I was impressed that the OP tried to find his 300 & 400 yd drops in the field.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Corey I read your post wrong and I apologize if I came off as abrasive or trying to beat my chest. I think we're all on the same page. You may not realize I'm from Guthrie, they don't teach us to read writin' too well. Merry Christmas.

Latest posts