.22LR ammo

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Leila wanted a pistol for xmas to shoot Steel Challenge. So now I'm working on that. We have a few hundred rounds of .22 that I bought for her Crickett rifle, but I can't find any more for sale. Ordering it online is looking like a pretty attractive option because the price is fair, and even with shipping it would be better than buying from a POS selling it at 400% markup at a gun show or changing my schedule & making multiple trips to various stores to hopefully be at the front of the line to buy some if it happened to come in that day.

So what brands are best? I've had .22s over the years and only shot bulk pack ammo. I had experienced a number of failures with Remington bulk pack, where the round simply would not fire. I would like to avoid that, especially when my kid is shooting on the clock.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Federal Bulk, or the Federal AutoMatch that Bob said. Both are very reliable. I've also had good luck with the Blazer ammo that I bought from H&H, they are still the CCI product but not the mini mags (which are also good).

Just avoid the Remington Golden Bullet they are CRAP!

I would check H&H frequently, I just bought 2 Federal 525 round bricks from them a couple of weeks ago.

Glockman85

Well-Known Fanatic
Out of my smith 22a I actually have the best luck with remington 525 36gr hp I believe the golden bullet. Also the federal copper plated bullets. I have found for some reason the 40gr lead nose federal blue box was least successful than any other I have used. Now the 22a I have has very mixed reviews so could be the pistol. I have not had any luck finding any online for even a decent price and defiantly not in store. I back ordered some from midway knowing they will not arrive until May. Check gunbot frequently maybe you will get lucky and find some. For .30 a round I would rather just invest in 9mm rather than .22. Good luck Mitch hope u find some for ur daughter. Prices are just disgusting though!

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
I used CCI Green Tag when I shot silhouette out of my Ruger Mark II. It shot 3 to 4" groups at 100 yards consistently.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Really I think anything federal is going to be great. Remington, well its cheap. The projectile wiggles quite a bit in the casing on the golden bullet stuff. The thunderbolt usually has about 2-3 failure to ignites per box of 50. At least with my experience. I use an m&p 15-22. Also the remington seems to be a lot dirtier.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
The box we have on-hand is Winchester Xpert HV. It's been totally reliable, but the Crickett rifle has a pretty large diameter firing pin for a .22.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Federal Automatch is what I used to shoot. It seemed to run in my guns until I got my Nordic upper and it doesn't like it. CCI minimags or Blazer seems to run in everything but I can't even remember when I last saw some for sale at a sane price. 1st choice is CCI then Federal bulk (not Automatch) for me.

Latest posts