.223 wylde chamber problem chambering reloads

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the 20in .223 wylde fluted barrel from Loki, when I went to reload the bullets do not drop into the chamber. When I rack the slide the round chambers and shoots but it is difficult to manually eject live rounds. The bullet shoulder is .354 this is what the manual says it should be. This round will load easily into my other AR I have no idea what the chamber is .223/5.56. The Federal bulk pack measured .349 at the shoulder this round loaded and ejected easily I have fired close to 500 factory rounds with never a problem. I am using Lee full length resizing dies.

Do I need to use the RCBS small base .223 die?

Has any one else had this problem?

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
You're not setting the shoulder back far enough when resizing. Get the hornady comparator and make sure you get 2-3 thou shoulder setback when resizing using a fired case for initial measurement.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
problem solved, I needed to seat the bullet deaper.

OAL was 2.20 I was touching the lands (correct statement might be jammed into the lands) I seated the round the same OAL 2.189 as the factory ammo checked the ogive and my reloads are still 38 thousands longer than the factory ogive, much easier load and eject rounds. Final OAL 2.170 rifle loads and ejects ammo like it should.

Thanks Technetium-99m you helped me rule out the casing.

if you dont have one, get a case gauge.
Loading 223 for ar's is complicated enough to need a second opinion when we go 3/4 retard.

Latest posts