.223 Load for 69 gr. Sierra HPBT in AR

imhntn

Founding Member
I am trying to work up a load for my DPMS 3G1 AR with the 69 gr sierra hpbt match. I shot a few today with 25.5 gr varget and they seemed a little hot and did not group very well. Average velocity was 2845 fps and got about a 2" 4 shot group. I think this may be a little hot for an AR. Anyone got any experience with this set up?

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
My first thought is are you using a bipod, rear sandbag and shooting from a stable platform this makes a huge difference when shooting for accuracy.
I am running 24 grains of varget with 68 grain hornady bthp with good luck.
I am switching to SMK 69 gr just because I could find them and not the 68gr
I do think 25.5 is on the hotter side & definitely compressed for Varget. I would load up with 24 gr and go from there. With varget & SMK BTHP I would not worry about speed.
IMO from loading SMK 6.5 creedmore & 308 for long range the SMK BTHP is a easy bullet to get to shoot well.
Since this is .223 make sure you are using the same headstamp when shooting for accuracy.

for 3 gun since I run a 1-4 power scope I am not worried about playing with seating depths and working up loads if the initial load runs well I run with it.

Not sure if this post was helpful just my thoughts good luck

i run 69g smk's with 25.0g varget at 2.255" oal.
the hot side of 69smk's and varget usually group very well. If you have any good 55gr loads Id try them out, just to get a better idea of the barrels accuracy

Latest posts