223 bullet question

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
what kind of cheap 55 grain 223 bullet should I reload with, my local matches are all paper under 100 yards and most of this will be used for practice anyway

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
Whatever you can find in the quantities you need.

Personally, HORNADY 55gr FMJ - they group about as well as any ball ammo I know of

dennishoddy

gondo said:
what kind of cheap 55 grain 223 bullet should I reload with, my local matches are all paper under 100 yards and most of this will be used for practice anyway
Don't know about today, but yesterday Powder Valley had 55 grain Hornady SP with cannalure for $50 per 500

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
ok I can get either.... what should I get and why? the sp or the fmj? im just starting to reload 223 and all I have is a couple k of vmax and I hate to plink with those

dennishoddy

I like the SP because they can be plinkers, or if needed take a coyote.
I understand some ranges only allow SP on their steel targets, so if you have one in your area, that's another reason.
If FMJ is all you can get, go for it.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
Do the sp hit about the same as the fmj or vmax in your experience? I was kind of leaning toward sp because of the steel targets.

dennishoddy

Really haven't done a head to head test. I do know different bullets of the same weight, but different styles will fly differently. That's why I try to find one thing and shoot it consistently.

If I can't find it, adjustments have to be made for the different bullet which sux.

CrtsHarris

Well-Known Fanatic
I have loaded both. About 6000 of the FMJ and loaded about 2500 of the 6000 Sp's that I bought. The difference that matters to me is that the Sp's have a flat base, while the FMJ's have a boat tail. Loading the boat tails are much easier because they sit in the case better on the press. Accuracy for both projectiles at 100 meters was similiar with a slight nod to the boat-tailed FMJ's. My choice is the FMJ's, can't wait to load the remaining SP's so I don't cringe seeing them in my closet.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
CrtsHarris said:
I have loaded both. About 6000 of the FMJ and loaded about 2500 of the 6000 Sp's that I bought. The difference that matters to me is that the Sp's have a flat base, while the FMJ's have a boat tail. Loading the boat tails are much easier because they sit in the case better on the press. Accuracy for both projectiles at 100 meters was similiar with a slight nod to the boat-tailed FMJ's. My choice is the FMJ's, can't wait to load the remaining SP's so I don't cringe seeing them in my closet.
This, flat base .223 take more effort than boat tail when reloading if flat base is all you can find buy a couple hundred and you can form your own opinions

Larry Mullican

Well-Known Fanatic
New at reloading myself. Very pleased with the Hornady 55 grain .223 FMJ-Boat Tail. Yes, much easier or reload than flat bottoms.
My groups on my M&P AR 15, 16" 1/9 twist went from 12" groups with XM193 at 100 yards to 3" groups at 100 yards with the Hornady
Reloads. I know 12" groups are horrible for bench rest shooting. 1" at 50 yds. Still a significant improvement. Still testing powder loads, and haven't shot the 2 and 300 yard targets yet.

Latest posts