.22 suppressor

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Unfortunately the 22/45 pistols are some of the louder hosts due to the design. I have a Sig 1911-.22 and compared to my wife's Walther P22 (both suppressed) the 1911.22 is WAY quieter and there is zero blowback. The P22 was blowing so much back even with "clean" CCI, it was not pleasant to shoot. My wife made me take the silencer off.

FYI the Sig Sauer 1911-.22 is identical to the GSG 1911-.22.....I think they're made in the same factory just stamped with whichever brand.

PSA just had a sale on the GSGs for like $199 (I think) recently.

Love my .22s!!

221911_zps20522496.jpg

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone have first hand experience with the: M&P 22, Ruger SR22, or Browning Buckmark? There is a colt 1911 (by walther?) on the PSA web sight on clerance ($239). I did not find the GSG for $199, the did have a citadel listed but out of stock.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
I have heard the M&P 22 is good to go. Not sure if that Colt has a threaded barrel; I'd check on that before buying. For most .22 pistols you'll need a 1/2x28 thread adapter because the barrel threads are small and don't extend beyond the end of the slide. I like the 1911-.22 because I shoot regular 1911s or the M&P.22 because they're both full size and not tiny like a P22 or others.

I got my thread adapters from Innovative but here's one from Midway for P22/MP.22 to give you an idea of what you need. There are other brands like SilencerCo but you could probably call or email IA and tell them what host you're getting if you want one of theirs to go along with the IA suppressor but it's not a requirement by any means

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290584 ... uctFinding

I have heard good things about a Browning Buckmark with a TacSol threaded upper but not sure of the cost involved

Paco

Well-Known Fanatic
My 22/45 LITE works decently with my Innovative Arms Apex-S. There is more action bark than some other pistols out there.
Have heard great things about the M&P-22.
The SR22 should be avoided because it has more action bark than the 22/45 does.
I believe the buckmark should suppress well. They are also excellent shooters.

My Apex-S spends most of its time on my Savage Mark II FV-SR for squirrel assassination with CCI Quiet-22.
(FYI: Quiet-22 generally will not cycle semi-automatics)

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
For the money is it worth the extra the 100 for the Innovative arms apex vs the apex S. More than likely this will only shoot .22lr. It will do time on a rifle and pistol host. The S is around 9 oz heavier. It will be in a trust. This will be my first can... any recommendations for those who have bought before or have similar setups. Thanks

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Dayman said:
For the money is it worth the extra the 100 for the Innovative arms apex vs the apex S. More than likely this will only shoot .22lr. It will do time on a rifle and pistol host. The S is around 9 oz heavier. It will be in a trust. This will be my first can... any recommendations for those who have bought before or have similar setups. Thanks

I like having the aluminum .22 suppressor because it's very very light. The only drawback since I don't shoot .22 MAG or .17HMR suppressed of not having a stainless can would be losing some of the chemical or physical methods of removing lead build up. Some people use mixtures of vinegar and hydrogen peroxide ( " the dip" ) or they tumble their baffles/core in purple power or stainless steel pins in a wet tumbler. Those methods will damage aluminum

The big thing is how to clean ANY baffle, aluminum or steel, without exposing yourself to lead. 1) SHOOT CLEAN AMMO!!!! Copper washed ammo like AE Suppressor ammo or even exposed lead ammo like CCI is cleaner than say Remington .22. 100 rounds of Remington subsonic is as dirty as like 600 rounds of CCI in terms of cleaning to me. 2) Wear gloves. I use Hoppes #9 Semi Auto (blue label) solvent because the label says "Will remove copper and LEAD and cleans thoroughly leaving no residue. I have a bore brush dedicated to baffle cleaning (I think it's a work down 9mm brush). I don't make the baffles sparkly clean. Some fouling makes the can more quiet (destructive interference to the sound waves). 3) This step helps immensely: taking Phillip's advice I got some dielectric grease from an auto parts store. I put a thin coat on the OUTSIDE of the monocore itself..:if some gets on the inner baffle it's OK just don't obstruct the bullet's path and this makes the core easy as hell to wipe fouling off of, it never gets stuck in the tube....basically whatever the grease was touching is easy to clean. I also put a thin layer on the suppressor threads (NOT the mount threads) for ease of disassembly.

I may get a stainless can later but I adapted to what I've got and it's pretty easy for me.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
The extra weight might not be as much of an issue on a rifle but on a pistol I like the lighter aluminum can. I don't even have a Rimfire rifle in a chambering other than .22 long rifle.

If you think you might want to shoot the hotter chamberings suppressed you might be better off buying the "S". I think I would first handle a stainless can on a pistol to see how it felt.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Crunchy nailed it. My cans are SS and weigh in at 10.5 oz which is no big deal on a rifle but is very noticeable on a pistol host.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Does the Check to the BTAFE have to be a cashiers check or can it be a personal check? Is it made out to BTAFE or BTAFE NFA? Thanks hope to go pay and fill out the fourm 4 tomorrow.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
I wrote a personal check to BATFE. That way I could determine when the check was cashed, which is one of the milestones of the tax stamp process.

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
i think i always sent a money order.

sending a check isnt really going to tell you anything because when they open the letter you know the first thing to happen is cashing the payment.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for all the feedback. Got my NFA trust set up today. The shop I planned to purchase the suppressor from did not have the one I wanted. So far I think I am going to wait on them to get one in stock as he quoted me a good deal on a innovative arms apex s. That is a smoking deal on the GSG. I am holding out on a host pistol until I square away the suppressor purchase and see what funds I have left in my fun money account.

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Well finally made the purchase... didn't go with what I listed and I already picked up a pistol host... :lol: guess i'll post back in 9-12 months with the results ;)

Any suggestions on a bolt action rifle.. seen a marlin on here a couple of time that looks pretty sweet. Does anyone make one with a pre threaded barrel?

Now I have the trust is set up I gotta use it... sbr a rifle?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
What did you go with

For a rifle host you can't beat a Savage FV-SR. 16" "heavy" profile threaded barrel, adjustable trigger. They're usually in the $280 ballpark.

I went with a Marlin XT-22RZ. Got it on sale for $189 as it came with a threaded barrel (22") and adjustable trigger.

It's a tack driver
image_zps7982468e.jpg

Have a few pictures similar to that of 5 shot groups at an estimated 35 yards (range wasn't marked aside from 25 and 100).

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
CZ offered a 16" threaded barrel variant of the 452 bolt action rifle. Not sure if the current model 455 is available that way. The 455 features an interchangeable barrel so that opens up some possibilities.

Ruger recently announced a threaded barrel version of the American Rimfire bolt rifle. I have not seen one in a store yet.

Latest posts