.22 for squirrels

Dayman

Well-Known Fanatic
Well my son is finally of age and I'm getting him into the ol squirrel woods this fall! Looking at my .22's and they are great and all for my taste but so utilitarian (savage mk ii and 10/22 stainless with plastic stock). Longing for that gold trigger .22 my grandfather let me take. What would you all recommend for a first hunting rifle? How about a .22 .410 combo, I like that savage but hate the plastic look. I have a s&w .22a-1 to trade sell

gwmac

Well-Known Fanatic
I just found your thread. I think the .22-.410 is great in theory. My experience is that they are not great in reality. The combo gun doesn't do either rifle or shotgun well. If you want single shot, you'd be better off buying one of each.

Crunchy Frog

Well-Known Fanatic
Take a look at the CZ Rimfire rifles. CHF barrels and real wood (some of it quite nice). The 452 line was replaced by the 455 which has user changeable barrels. They make a Scout which is a youth model. Mine is a 452FS which has a wood to muzzle walnut stock. It appeals to that "blued steel and walnut" taste and it's accurate to boot.

Latest posts