2018/2019 Program?

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Man, this place died once all the prizes got shipped?

Looks like Tony was right

Posted via my Samsung S8 using Tapatalk
It’s tough to keep a website going, and conversations going because most of us are more into shooting than typing, and most of us have full time jobs.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the rest to God.

El Jefé

Well-Known Fanatic
I never thought it was about website chatter. I always thought (maybe incorrectly) it was about Jersey exposure at matches. You know, where shooter people go and do shooter things and other shooter people see your program sponsors on your jersey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
El Jefé said:
I never thought it was about website chatter. I always thought (maybe incorrectly) it was about Jersey exposure at matches. You know, where shooter people go and do shooter things and other shooter people see your program sponsors on your jersey.

I think you are correct, that’s what the jersey program was about. I’m sorry, I misunderstood, I thought Burke’s comment was about the website being quiet since the prizes were handed out.

Live Simply, Love Generously, Care Deeply, Speak Kindly, Shoot Well, Leave the rest to God.

OR3GUN

Sponsor
This is also the time of year where vacations are being planned, friends and relatives are graduating and the weeds beg to be eaten once a week by power tools that seemed to have quit running since they were touched last. Around here, a strange orb has suddenly appeared in the sky, causing many to explore the curious phenom for all that it is.

I've run several web sites and a couple of non-firearm related discussion forums myself for 20 years. June statistics always look like the forums fell off the Internet. I'll bet if you run year over year reports you will see the same if you filter out the posts of users submitting their match proof in years past. That said, some likely check the forums out when they are here to submit their match proof, so traffic may have been driven in part by the program itself.

It is clear that there is a huge amount of work that goes into the program and if it ever gets a reboot, there could be some tweaks to reflect the new paradigm of social media and also make it easier on those running it. You guys deserve a break and if it ever spools up again, the value of shirts in matches may need to be pushed to sponsors over clicks to a web site. Seeing a banner ad online doesn't move people to buy the way someone beating them with your products at a match or a personal recommendation does.

In all, it has been a positive experience from both the vendor and shooter sides. Hopefully, some day when everyone involved has had time to reflect on what worked and what didn't it will be back, bigger and better than ever. In the meantime, thank you to everyone involved in making it work as long as it did.

William

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
When BoomerShooter.com was created it was a discussion forum for shooters run by shooters. The ONLY purpose was to have a place to talk about shooting sports, reviews, matches and all things competition shooting. No tactical timmies, no keyboard commandos, no gun board traders.

When Brandon designed the contingency program it was a way to reward those who shot matches and give them incentive to shoot more matches and also introduce new shooters to the sport. The program was sold to sponsors as a way to get their brand in front of a very select demographic of customers who buy competitive shooting gear and then discuss, recommend, review and brag about the matches they shot. It was not designed as JERSEY program only or as a WEBSITE traffic program. It was a combination of both.

Our program is a one of a kind. People participating in our program do not necessarily use all the products that are represented on the jersey. Those companies are sponsoring our team through prizes for the year end giveaway. If you see Jesse wearing a Stoeger jersey, you know he is shooting a Stoeger. THAT was their return

Our team was unique. We offered a package deal, exposure on the jersey, coverage through reviews of their product, advertising on our forum that is used primarily byREAL shooters.

Companies like Timney knew everyone wasn't shooting a Timney trigger, they were fine with that. They offered discounts for anyone who bought a Timney Trigger based on a team member's recommendation, whether it was at a match or on our forum. The discount cards were a way for them to measure their return on investment.

Companies love to see their name mentioned anywhere, anytime and for almost any reason. That could be in-person, social media, forums anything. We can't track social media posts (and you know how I feel about Facebook in general) The only thing we can track is forum posts, and those went away in the last year or so. We lost that portion of our sales pitch

And by the way: Tony and I both have 2 jobs each

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Burk Cornelius said:
There would be about 20 posts, and 10 of them would be mine
Yep, the last year has been pretty slow

dennishoddy

I’ve posted a thread three days ago that begs for replies about new firearms or gear to post in to increase traffic about guns or gear one has bought recently to share with the community.
Pretty much dead other than some local respondents.

The folks that lament the demise of the contingency program have no one else to blame other than themselves.

As has been splained, the program relies on forum traffic.
Forum traffic generates numbers that can be put in front of sponsors so they can see the worth of releasing their products at no charge to a contingency program like Boomershooter.

When the numbers of posts decline, there are no numbers to present to manufacturers.

Hence the issue of no numbers belongs to the forum members.
The folks that have worked their ass off to keep this program moving (Tony, Burke) cannot do it without forum members doing their part in generating forum traffic.

This is a discussion forum.
Those that want to see the contingency program continue need to get off their sideline, sit on my butt attitude and get involved with the program by being active in posting on the forum and presenting your opinions and discussion.
If this contingency program is to continue, it’s because of the membership, not the owners of the forum
For the record, I’m a lowly moderator with zero attachment to how the program operates.
This is my rant from the sidelines and I’m sticking with it.
Get involved!

El Jefé

Well-Known Fanatic
I understand where you are coming from, I really do, and what you are saying makes sense, but ALOT of shooters just aren’t internet chat people. That might be unfortunate, but it’s just a fact. I didn’t start participating because I was hunting for **** to do online. I started because I ran across shooters wearing the jersey at matches and they told others about the program. I brought two other friends along with me the same way, by telling them about it and showing them how it worked.

It’s a cool idea. It really is, but if it necessitates that I spend my evenings in front of a computer or on a smart phone talking about gun stuff to increase traffic instead of working, spending time with family or actually shooting, then I unfortunately can’t help. Apparently a lot of people can’t. I enjoyed participating and probably would again if it reboots, but for me personally, the limit of my participation would remain simply buying a jersey, shooting matches, telling other shooters about the program and thanking sponsors when possible.

Hopefully there’s a way to make it work again. Thanks guys.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
El Jefé said:
I understand where you are coming from, I really do, and what you are saying makes sense, but ALOT of shooters just aren’t internet chat people. That might be unfortunate, but it’s just a fact. I didn’t start participating because I was hunting for **** to do online. I started because I ran across shooters wearing the jersey at matches and they told others about the program. I brought two other friends along with me the same way, by telling them about it and showing them how it worked.

It’s a cool idea. It really is, but if it necessitates that I spend my evenings in front of a computer or on a smart phone talking about gun stuff to increase traffic instead of working, spending time with family or actually shooting, then I unfortunately can’t help. Apparently a lot of people can’t. I enjoyed participating and probably would again if it reboots, but for me personally, the limit of my participation would remain simply buying a jersey, shooting matches, telling other shooters about the program and thanking sponsors when possible.

How did you thank the sponsors?

El Jefé

Well-Known Fanatic
Both years I participated, I won Timney triggers. I emailed them a “thanks for your support” message through the contact us function on their website. I also thanked sponsor reps at major matches when present (namely Vortex, but also the Tooth & Nail guys). I realize that’s probably “wasted” in a sense, because those guys most likely aren’t personally responsible and have no involvement, but it seemed like the right thing to do and in line with the spirit of the program.

dennishoddy

El Jefé said:

It doesn’t require a full time Internet forum commitment from anyone that takes away from family time. We all have families and commitments. Two replies to forum subjects a day from members would result in hundreds of posts per day.
Just casual use is all it takes.
The program relies on numbers that can be shown to suppliers that show we are interested as a group in their products.
For the record, everything I’ve just said is not pointed at your comments at all.
My comments are for general info and discussion.
Thanks for contacting the vendors that supplied your contingency prize. That helps a lot.

El Jefé

Well-Known Fanatic
I’m not offended and didn’t intend for my comments to be either. I’m just not a “forum” person I guess. I barely found time to post my match updates most weeks. Haha. I did, occasionally read a bit when I did updated my points thread, but didn’t often feel I had any constructive input to offer.

Hopefully there’s a way to make it work again some day. Thanks

btaylor1505

Well-Known Fanatic
I sent an email to CR Speed thanking them for their support and sponsorship in the program. Since I walked away with one of their holsters this year, I figured I'll do what I can to help start it back up.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
I sent an email and a message on FB Messenger, thanking the sponsor for the prize I won. Didn’t get a reply back on either of those, and a follow-up email on redeeming my prize has gone unanswered as well.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
RigPig (Matthew Hoff) said:
I sent an email and a message on FB Messenger, thanking the sponsor for the prize I won. Didn’t get a reply back on either of those, and a follow-up email on redeeming my prize has gone unanswered as well.
What company?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Many of the manufacturers are sometimes difficult to contact. They spend most of their time filling orders & don't spend a lot of time on the phone. Keep trying & be patient.

NightShade

Well-Known Fanatic
Well things may pick up a bit now. From what I can tell the guy who bought okshooters only registered it for a year and it's now a dead site. I could be wrong but either the site traffic will drop a lot. If they did lose it they will either have to pay up or go to court.

Personally I have not been around much since I haven't really been going to competitions. Have a feeling I tore something more in my shoulder and the thought of even shooting 22 for a full match makes me cringe.

Latest posts