2014-2015 Oklahoma Controlled Hunt results.

dennishoddy

I've been to McAlister four times now. What a comedy of errors on my part. Last year, set up a blind in a plum thicket looking at a heavily used trail. Had the wind perfect, etc, and about two hours into it, heard a noise behind me. Turned my head slowly, and came eye to eye with a 150 class 12 point at about 20 yds down wind.

Guess I blinked first, he snorted and hauled ass before I could turn and get a shot.

Year before, spotted 10 pigs on a small food plot in a driving rain. Made the stalk, and got within 25 yds of the big sow when I stepped on a stick. Amazing how fast they can run.

If you kill a pig there, you get a free pass for the next year without having to do the OWDC drawing.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
I would love a chance at one of those monsters at McAlister but I don't have the time to invest on a recurve. If they'd let me use my PSE I would be all over it.

Rush

New Fanatic
hello everyone I just joined an saw everyone talking about where they were drawn in at
I got lucky an was drawn for a cow elk hunt at wichita mts nwr for dec.9 i've heard all
kinds of things about this hunt mostly pos. hope it's as good as they say

dennishoddy

Its a challenging hunt. I went as a helper when a buddy drew a bull tag. The terrain is extremely rocky and rough. We helped two other folks get theirs out before my buddy got his bull. We barely got his back to the road before the evening convoy showed up.
I've been signing up since the 70's. Never been drawn.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Rush it can be a tough hunt but I have never heard anyone complain about. I live down here in Lawton and I have seen world class bulls out there. I would suggest you trust your rifle to at least 300 to be safe.

Rush

New Fanatic
sorry guys i've been out of pocket for awhile can't wait to try my hand at elk hunting
never have had the chance to go, im taking my A-bolt 308 an i know i can shoot it 300 yards
that's a chip shot where we hunt, I was hoping they would send a map of the hunt area but they
don't not sure where to start the closest i've ever been to it was mount scott.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Right now a map won't do you much good. It is my understanding you will be assigned a hunting compartment when you check in for the hunt.

dennishoddy

Josh is correct. Your hunt area will be assigned to you at arrival.
You will be assigned to a convoy leader that is typically an ODW employee. There will be several Federal employees there that work on the refuge as well. Don't be shy to corner one of them and ask their advice once your assigned a hunt area. They drive those roads daily.

Don't take their advice lightly.

When your convoy goes out for the scouting trip, you will have a flag or cone to put out on the side of the road. This is where you will be dropped off every morning, and where you will be picked up every evening.

Be sure to take a couple of buddy's for helpers to get your animal out. Once you get one down and field dressed, you go back to your flag and tell the driver when they come by (about every 30 minutes).

They will get your helpers and bring them to you.

Have you given any thought about what is needed to get a 450lb carcass out of the field?

Rush

New Fanatic
yes I have, I bought some game bags and a packframe with a bag for the meat plus two freinds that are a lot younger than I who have packframes also.

dennishoddy

A lot of folks use those sheets of heavy plastic that has grommets in it so the animal will slide easier if you want to drag it out. I got 3 out on my 2 wheel cart, but it looks like you already have a plan.

If you don't see one after the first day, they will move you to another area if you ask.
Good luck. I'm officially jealous.

Rush

New Fanatic
thanks for all of the info about this hunt it's been very helpful an try not to be to jealous, I haven't gotten to pull the trigger yet you guys might get the chance to heckel me for chumpimg the shot. :sarcastichand:

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
Well my uncle, cousin, dad and I got blanked on our controlled hunt. We saw probably 20 deer but every single one was while driving.

dennishoddy

I got nada on mine at McAlister AAD. Solid rain for 2 1/2 days. Saw one deer in that time, and it was aways off. They just didn't move.

dennishoddy

Lots of bow season until then.
The bucks are in pre-rut in Oklahoma anyway. I'm getting single pics of bucks cruising. All the big guys are still nocturnal.

MarkCh

Well-Known Fanatic
Most of our buck pics are still at night, too. We hunt up near Pawhuska and the two weeks before gun season are usually the best for lots of bucks out moving. I'll probably go out sometime this week or this weekend just to see if it is picking up yet or not.

Latest posts