2012-2013 Deer/Elk/Antelope Hunting contest

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Seems like we had a lot fewer entries this year. Most people I know had a bad season, wind killed my Rifle season, so I was real thankful that I got that early doe.

dennishoddy

I agree.
Deer hunting was tough this year because of the ongoing drought. We have a DMAP (Deer management Assistance Program} going on at the property (5000+ acres) because of too many does, causing the buck to doe ratio to be skewed.
We normally have to take 40-45 does off the property every year. This year around the first of December, the Wildlife Department Biologist called and said to call off the doe hunt.

Reason being the ongoing drought. Deer don't need ponds, creeks, etc to survive, as their body's absorb the moisture that is contained in the food they eat.
Woody browse contains 40% water.

The does/bucks can survive just fine. Its the fawns that are the problem. The does can't make enough milk to feed the fawns.

Last year in the NW counties, the ODW estimated a 20% loss of fawns to the drought and This year, its estimated that up to 60% of the fawns did not survive. I suspect when we start shed hunting in April, we will find lots of small skulls along with the shed antlers. This last spring, I found 5 fawn skulls on 160 acres of land. Its not good.

dennishoddy

The contest is over.

No more entry's will be accepted.

We will have the drawing in a day or two. My work schedule is keeping me totally busy right now.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread. :D

dennishoddy

Kenny Gant wins the 1st place, and Wormeydog gets second.

Congrats to all that put in for the contest, I hope your enjoying your venison, and look forward to doing this again next year!

Pm me your mailing address, and we will get the prizes sent out.

BigK674

Well-Known Fanatic
Awesome...Thanks Dennis and Boomer Shooter for putting this contest on.

Kenny

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Woot! Thanks Dennis for putting this on. And for everybody else that participated in the contest. Things like this is what really makes the forum a community.

Porter

Active Fanatic
Congrats guys! A big thanks to Dennis and Boomershooter. Hopefully we can do it again next year with a lot more entries!

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Got my mount back today. I've taken some nice bucks in the past, but this is the first one I deemed worthy enough to get mounted.

56429C99-8D31-4C0C-BCC9-726B842A807C-2313-00000234CCCD1FCF_zpsfe182a33.jpg

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
so you decided to hang it on a tree as a warning to all the other bucks in the area?

Latest posts