2011 Pricing

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Get it Jeff! I want to live vicarously through you, plus, I don't think I've ever seen one in person. But I'm not a meat gazer either. ;-)

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
That Mike guy can build Caspians too. I haven't done a thing to mine except for cleaning, oiling and brushing those damn mags. It has never had a failure that wasn't ammo related and I'm still on the original mags he sold me with the gun, only recently have I bought another to have a replacement on hand.

MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
With that said a bone stock STI is still a damn good pistol and stepping stone. If you bought a 9mm STI for 3 gun and wanted to go custom build later you can get most of your money out of it.
I ordered an STI Eagle with this advice in mind. It was slightly used. I figure for $1,200 I can dump it any time I want in the future.

MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't find much about them though. Lots more information on the Edge in .40. Eagles in 9mm? Not so much. Seems like it would be great for 3-gun plus it's got the old school 1911 styling with the scallops but there's only a few not too thorough reviews and videos. Probably just going to be a plinker until I can afford multiple tuned mags.

Or maybe I'll just carry the thing concealed just to say I did and amuse myself with the reactions from the mouse gun crowds. "Glock 42? That's cute... I carry a full sized 2011...."

... but I digress. Anyway, I've often wondered the same thing as the OP, and I figure that if you have to ask, you're not ready for a custom. Even if you could afford one, you wouldn't appreciate it.

45recoil

likes to party
mike cyrwus said:
if it runs, great buy!
This simply sums it up. Run it, then youll know if its good.

Ive got a stock edge in 40, never bought tuned mags, took mag out of pack, put in grams internals and 6k+ rounds later never an issue. Aside from the subpar reloads (my fault) ive never had an issue with it. Im in the market for a 3 gun 9mm eagle myself.

MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well-Known Fanatic
Jared Carpenter said:
never bought tuned mags
There's only two 126mm mags with it. I'm probably not going to be able to do much with just them. I figure if I have to buy new ones specifically for competitions, then why wouldn't I get 140mm? And if I'm getting new 140mm mags, which I'll probably want to get base pads for in the future, then why wouldn't I just get tuned ones from the get go? A third 126mm one would go a long way for now though, would probably cover most local meets plus that's what I need for IDPA anyway.

Jared Carpenter said:
Im in the market for a 3 gun 9mm eagle myself.
Oak Hill in Pennsylvania sells them for $1,699 brand new all day long. I was going to wait a bit and do that but ran across this other one. I've looked all over the place and this is the best price I have found. Hardly any used ones come up either.

45recoil

likes to party
Oh yea..dump the 126. The 140 mm that came with the gun (i bought used as well) have dawson basepads non snl's and i get 19 reloadable and 20 non. The base pads i got from makereadyproshop still have the stock basepads and i get the same round cap. I went the rout of knowing how to adjust the feed lips and save on tuned.

Also ill look in the used ads when im ready...just not right now

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I just found this thread. $2,500-3,000 gets you reliability and well fit major parts. After that you are either paying for the name of the smith or stupid attention to detail. You'd be surprised how many little aesthetic mistakes you can find on guns from competition smiths. Here's the funny thing though, that stuff just doesn't matter on a competition gun. Accuracy, reliability, and longevity reign supreme over how tightly fitted your grip safety is or how wild the slide cuts are.

MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well-Known Fanatic
Coolest ones I've seen outside of svi/infinity are from Hayes custom guns in Texas. They can do big fat lightening cuts that blends into the front serrations which looks amazing. A 6" gun with a 3/4 length rail and the rest being scalloped looks great, good compromise of old school styling with modern functionality.

That being said, a sponsored shooter of theirs estimated $3,800 on one... So what exactly are you paying for outside of some wicked looks? Hell if I know. That's why I ordered a used Eagle. A $2,600 difference is a lot of ammo, as well as targets, match fees, and a whole bunch of other **** like pimping my Glock out and still having cash left over.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
SVI is a different animal. As far as I know it is the only "high end" competition gun shop that makes everything in house. Very good product and stellar warranty and support. There is a little bit of the name thing there, but those guns are very high quality.

As far as a $3800 6" limited gun. The parts are a bit more expensive (not much but a little), the rest of the difference is made up in shop time for aesthetic stuff like how the slide cuts look, expensive finishes, or name recognition. If the smith is good the custom is a hands down winner over the stock STI. Honestly, $3800 is a bit much for me to spend on a limited gun. If I were going to spend that money I'd just place an order with SVI and throw in a bit more.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
You should be able to get an SV for $3800. It won't be until 2016 but you can get it for that I think.

MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Well-Known Fanatic
technetium-99m said:
As far as a $3800 6" limited gun. The parts are a bit more expensive (not much but a little), the rest of the difference is made up in shop time for aesthetic stuff like how the slide cuts look, expensive finishes, or name recognition. If the smith is good the custom is a hands down winner over the stock STI. Honestly, $3800 is a bit much for me to spend on a limited gun. If I were going to spend that money I'd just place an order with SVI and throw in a bit more.
This is the one I was talking about. I'd love to have it but I can't justify spending that kind of money on one. I mean, Freedom Gunworks can build you a custom 6" for $2,500 which sounds more reasonable. I can't figure out where the other $1,300 is going.

1780838_198337910372887_327665078_n.jpg

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
i know that gun...Hayes Custom Guns finished it right after they got done with mine :)
They build reliable stuff, which is very important to anyone who competes. 3800 will basically cover all of the parts in this gun plus a fair shop rate for putting it together. Also you don't have to wait 3 years to actually pull the trigger. If you notice this gun has the cape magwell, twice the cost of an ICE, bomar/FO sights, spiral fluted bull barrel, SV trigger, black nitride....all of those little things start adding up!

MetropolisLakeOutfitters said:
This is the one I was talking about. I'd love to have it but I can't justify spending that kind of money on one. I mean, Freedom Gunworks can build you a custom 6" for $2,500 which sounds more reasonable. I can't figure out where the other $1,300 is going.
Ill not dwell on this but only here, this once; IT IS WRONG, SO VERY WRONG, TO LOOK AT A 2011 BUILT BY ONE GUY AND COMPARE IT TO ANOTHER BUILDER. CUSTOM PISTOLS ARE NOT COMMODITIES, IE YOU CANT MELT EM DOWN LIKE GOLD AND SAY, THIS ONES WORTH XXXX DOLLARS, SO THIS ONE MUST BE ALSO. IF SOMEONE TELLS ME THAT MY GUN (OR WORK) PRICES ARE TOO HIGH AND THEY MENTION ANOTHER BUILDER AND COMPARE THEM TO ME, I TELL THEM TO POUND SAND. Personally, Im getting away from building custom pistols to order because I have a problem charging clients what i should; damn right those guns are expensive.

-nothing against you, metropolis, I wasnt basing my response on your post.

Its like comparing a hyundai or kia SUV to a subaru or toyota. sure they look cool, but they are just turdballs rolled in **** paper.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
This was the best post in this thread

mike cyrwus said:
if your main concern is how your gun looks and what stupid cuts are on the slide, then I cant help you, Ill tell you this; a guy running the **** out of an old worn out glock or unassuming 2011; winning matches and championships (like vogel and Sevigny did) thats the sexy ****, thats the cool stuff. If you spend your time taking photos of your new fancy 2011 then shooting it and training with it, then I cant help ya.
Until this beauty came along

mike cyrwus said:
....sure they look cool, but they are just turdballs rolled in **** paper.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Burk Cornelius said:
This was the best post in this thread

if your main concern is how your gun looks and what stupid cuts are on the slide, then I cant help you, Ill tell you this; a guy running the **** out of an old worn out glock or unassuming 2011; winning matches and championships (like vogel and Sevigny did) thats the sexy ****, thats the cool stuff. If you spend your time taking photos of your new fancy 2011 then shooting it and training with it, then I cant help ya.
Until this beauty came along

I kinda liked this one

Jesse Tischauser said:
I have For sale two custom Accurate Iron 2011's in 9mm. Both are barely shot but photographed ALOT!

-and if anyone is going to argue that their gun made by XXXXX is hardly "turdballs rolled in **** paper", its called hyperbole. Look it up. :)

Id also appreciate someone coming on here to point out the fact that Im really a pleasant, nice guy in person and very tolerant of what you run, gun wise. These BS posts let me blow off steam.

Latest posts