1911's Bushing vs Bull, opinions and info pls.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
As I sit here trying to decide whether to continue with my "project 1911" or just buying another one outright this is one of the things that comes to mind.

I prefer the look of a bushing gun, in either 4 or 5 inch models, but my gun is a bull barrel and while I have a look I want for it I want function over anything else. So what are the pros and cons of the two options?

Trying to add positives and negatives to the decision to either go forward with my project, or just find a new 1911. What I have is a Springfield GI Champion. What I want to end up with is a solid CCW that has a few things that are personalized to my taste.

not2old2shoot

Active Fanatic
While I don't bill myself as an expert, just over 30 yrs of competitive shooting, if this a carry gun, wear will probably not be a problem since you will put less rounds thru it. I have a Colt officers model for carry and the first thing I did was have the bushing replaced with a solid SS one. Of course the original bushings on these models was a bushing with finger. They were prone to breaking, the last one would want to happen when in a life threatening situation. I say continue your project.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
ccw? bushing barrel; lighter
nah....light guns are for women.
J/k Mike.

I have both bull & bushing barrel 1911 platform pistols. I find that both are equally reliable with the bushing barrels being more accurate.
In the bull barrels' defense, my bushing barrel guns aren't off the shelf run of the mill pistols.

scooterj

Well-Known Fanatic
If the gun was designed as a bull barrel, the slide may not have the right cuts in it to retain the bushing. Or the slide may be too large to accept the bushing.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
If the gun was designed as a bull barrel, the slide may not have the right cuts in it to retain the bushing. Or the slide may be too large to accept the bushing.

Wasn't really thinking about converting it, more thinking of ditching it and starting over.

Latest posts