Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a basic 1911 with a clip on compensator. An I going to be able to hit the USPSA matches and have fun as a noob or will I be matched with a bunch of pros with tricked out kits?

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't remember where I got it. Amazon probably...

Attachments

• 20151206_024819.jpg
    20151206_024819.jpg
    138.8 KB · Views: 27

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I can shoot the crap out of that gun. Even with the cheap comp I can tell a difference. I did custom grips and love that thing.

gng4life

Active Fanatic
You would do much better by taking that comp off and not shooting against Open guns. I believe you are talking about the comp that replaces the bushing but they are not effective - at all.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
So if I run a stock 1911 I can run against a bunch of normal folks instead of a bunch of $4000 comp guns?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
It isn't hard to outshoot a B or C class open shooter just using a Production gun. Definitely would be sportier with a single-stack.

Does that comp actually do anything, or does it just look cool?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Just run in Single Stack division without the comp. you'll only be competing against 5 or so other single stack guys but it's a fun and challenging division to shoot in.

Oh and those good fancy open guns cost $5000+. The cheap $4000 ones are the ones you see for sale on the Enos classifieds.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
It isn't hard to outshoot a B or C class open shooter just using a Production gun. Definitely would be sportier with a single-stack.

Does that comp actually do anything, or does it just look cool?
I can tell a difference.

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
Just go shoot whatever you want and have fun. You're definitely not going to win in open, but it's your call. Does that thing fit in a holster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Josh Cobb said:
Just go shoot whatever you want and have fun. You're definitely not going to win in open, but it's your call. Does that thing fit in a holster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dunno, don't have one for it. I carry a sig p238 around. ☺

9x45

Fanatic
OP, what you have is not a compensator, it's a ported extension that replaces the barrel bushing on a 1911 to take out a little muzzle rise. Compensators have a very precise bore and ports to direct the gun straight back and without any muzzle rise. And to get compensators to run well it takes a very hot hand load. But that is of no matter. You can start USPSA in Single Stack division with that gun in stock form. You are only competing against other 1911 shooters, not Open or Limited Division, and because you are new, as un-classified (until you join the USPSA and get enough classifiers in the system). You will need a good holster, like a BladeTech or CompTac or Safariland, not a cheap Uncle Mikes, and a good belt, like the Wilderness Instructor or Double Alpha, not a Wally World dress belt, and at least 6 magazines and mag pouches, not Mecgar cheapies, good 1911 mags, like McCormick, Tripp Cobras or Wilson Combat. If you have any money left over, get some electric ears. Contact the match director before you show up, some clubs require a full day training session before they let you shoot. The Grand Masters make it look to easy running $5,000 Open Division guns, but there is really no difference between you and them, except they do pistol fundamentals (stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control) about 10,000 times better, and typically have well over 20 years of competition experience shooting over 60,000 rounds a year.

So, shoot fast and have fun, but prepare to be humbled.

Check USPSA.com for more information and club listings.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
9x45 said:
You will need a good holster, like a BladeTech or CompTac or Safariland, not a cheap Uncle Mikes, and a good belt, like the Wilderness Instructor or Double Alpha, not a Wally World dress belt, and at least 6 magazines and mag pouches, not Mecgar cheapies, good 1911 mags, like McCormick, Tripp Cobras or Wilson Combat. If you have any money left over, get some electric ears. Contact the match director before you show up, some clubs require a full day training session before they let you shoot. The Grand Masters make it look to easy running $5,000 Open Division guns, but there is really no difference between you and them, except they do pistol fundamentals (stance, grip, sight picture and trigger control) about 10,000 times better, and typically have well over 20 years of competition experience shooting over 60,000 rounds a year.

So, shoot fast and have fun, but prepare to be humbled.

Check USPSA.com for more information and club listings.
Are you trying to talk him INTO shooting or OUT OF shooting? LOL

9x45

Fanatic
Yea, just letting him know how things roll.. Everyone had to start somewhere, like we did back in the late 60's before IPSC.

Stuff is better now but I still have a holster like that somewhere.

image37155.jpg

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Mec-Gar depends on the gun. My 1911 wouldn't run them reliably. Everyone seems to love the Wilson mags for single stack, but my guns seems to like the Chip McCormick Power Mags better.

Latest posts