1911 Size reliability

Is a properly tuned Commander(4.25") style as reliable as a Government (5")

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
well, not sure if the above statement is based on experience or opinion..
I have owned 2 RIA 1911's.. & other than the comment made about my CS model, the other RIA (Govt. sized 9mm)
both have been accurate & reliable shooters. That's my experience.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
The words "good" and "RIA" should never be written in the same sentence.
I have a RIA in 3.5" both 9mm and .45 just for plinking. Have never had a problem with either. I have put at least 1000 rounds through each. The only thing I did was polish the barrel ramp. No particular reason.

Gunflint1

Well-Known Fanatic
I own a Colt Combat Commander & a DW CBOB.. both these 1911's are as reliable as any Govt sized 1911 I've owned.
Wanting to see if what 'd heard about Officer sized models was true ( they were problematic) so, I bought a previously owned but unfired RIA CS Standard.
The CS model is their compact sized 1911 (Officer model copy) w/ 3.5" barrel. It uses a FL guide rod & a tapered bull barrel, no barrel bushing.

Though mine came with tiny GI style sights, I was impressed with several things..1) it was surprisingly accurate, & @) it was 100% reliable, being fed 230 gr hardball. Reading the manual, it states it is made for 230gr. rds only. I had to try my handloads, & problems arose. Slide wouldn't always completely when fed SWC's..would close with gentle thumb pressure to back of the slide. Took pistol to my gunsmith & he checked it over, discovered the chamber was a little tight @ the front. Used a chamber reamer, (maybe 1 full turn) and it now feeds everything without problem. I thought of informing RIA of my issue, but manual did state it was made for 230gr Hardball, & it ran perfectly with that ammo. From my experiment.. 3.5" 1911's can be as reliable as any other 1911..my experience.
I have a lot of friends asking why I carry a outdated 1911. I just give them a history lesson. In October 1918, as a newly-promoted corporal, York was one of a group of seventeen soldiers assigned to infiltrate German lines and silence a machine gun position. After the American patrol had captured a large group of enemy soldiers, German small arms fire killed six Americans and wounded three. York was the highest ranking of those still able to fight, so he took charge. While his men guarded the prisoners, York attacked the machine gun position, killing several German soldiers with his rifle before running out of ammunition. Six German soldiers charged him with bayonets, and York drew his 1911 pistol and killed all of them. The German officer responsible for the machine gun position had emptied his pistol while firing at York but failed to hit him. This officer then offered to surrender and York accepted. York and his men marched back to their unit's command post with more than 130 prisoners. York was immediately promoted to sergeant and was awarded the distinguished service cross. An investigation resulted in the upgrading of the award to the Medal of Honor. York's feat made him a national hero and international celebrity among allied nations.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
IMHO a back up weapon must be every bit as realiable as your primary weapon , if not why would you carry it ! After all if your having to use it something definitely went wrong !