1911 Newbie looking to Lurk & Learn.

mikegray0422

New Fanatic
I've been shooting since 1972 when I bought a Sheridan Blue Streak with my grass cutting money. Since then, I've become addicted to anything that runs on black powder, modern sporting rifles, vintage military rifles, mouse pistols and monster pistols. I reload and cast everything I shoot and started making my own black powder a couple of years ago.
Through all that, I've never owned a 1911. I've borrowed trigger time on a couple but that's about it. I'd like to find out what the difference is between a $500 Rock Island and a $2000 Les Baer. Do I get a middle of the road pistol and customize it in stages or just raid the savings account and get the dream gun? I'm also a lefty so what do I look for there?
I've got a lot of research to do and I'm looking forward to browsing the site (and picking a few brains while I'm at it).

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome, Mike. Buy what your budget makes you happy with to start off with, because you can own a half dozen before you know what your "dream gun" might look like.

Chuck43

Well-Known Fanatic
Welcome to the forum from northern Illinois Mike. I'd suggest you learn to swim before jumping off the dock. What are you going to use the gun for? Is it going to be a range, carry or competition gun? I'd suggest a middle of the road 1911 to get your feet wet with. Kimber, Sig, Colt and Ruger, are just a few of the many companies that make great guns. Places like Les Baer, Wilson Combat, Ed Brown and Nighthawk all make beautiful guns but you have to know what you want, be prepared to wait months and realize that $2,000. will only be a down payment.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Welcome from northern Indiana enjoy the conversation. You need to get what fits your budget to start with.

mcollier

Fanatic
As long as you're not spending grocery money, I think you should get the dream gun.

You only live once.

Carpe diem.

If you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly.

You get the idea...

If you are spending grocery money...don't buy a gun.

Latest posts