1911 gunsmith near Greenville

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm looking for a good 1911 guy near Greenville. I've got a Combat Commander that I got a very good deal on a while ago, and I need someone to do some reliability work on it.

In addition, I need new sights on it, so if the same fellow can mill it, that would be a bonus. I've been resisting the urge to send it to Novaks, but I cannot deal with these WWI style sights any longer.

Recommendations?

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
if it has value, leave the original sights on it.

i put novaks on a 70 series government and wish i had not. actually 2 70 series. one had the old sights removed when i got it. someone put S&W adjustable rear sights on it. looked like crap.

1002532a.jpg

By tigerstripe1 at 2011-12-22

John Canuck

Well-Known Fanatic
It's only as valuable as a 1911. Its not collectable and is a carry gun. It's going to end up with Novaks sights on it because the original sights are useless as sights. The only question is, who can mill the slide without destroying it.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I can recommend Robby Wheaton at Wheaton Arms in Piedmont (864) 269-1212. i know he an do the reliability work, as he did some on my Model 70. He can also do milling.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
John Canuck said:
How did his reliability job work out?
I guess you can call it reliability work. He made some adjustments to the extractor to rid me of a pesky symptom this one had always had to dent the mouth of all my casings. He came highly recommended to me by a friend who is really into guns and has a good bit of custom work done.
Here ya go http://www.wheatonarms.com/

rockman96

Fanatic
Robbie at Wheaton is your best bet. I have had work done by several, and he is a head above the rest. And no, I don't have any interests at stake here.

Torontogosh

Well-Known Fanatic
I know it's outside of your geographical boundries, but Dale Hanna in Summerville does really good work. I have trusted him with a pretty big 1911 rebuild, and he did not let me down. He is "Half-cocked" on this forum, and I'm sure could help arrange shipping the gun to him.

Here is a link that shows the gun, and gives a summary of my overall experience. I hope this helps.

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=2629&p=16204&hilit=bragging#p16204

Latest posts