1911 Conditions Of Readiness

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Those are Cooper's conditions. The army's are different.
The military. Hell, I was in the Marine Corps and half the time they had us carry without any ammunition. And look at the Military bases where you aren't even allowed to bring a personal firearm on base.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Thought I'd throw this in just for fun . I met a guy a while back with a very bad limp at my LGS . I'd heard about him through the other regulars at the shop . He then told us first hand how he got the limp . He was at a doctor appointment , and for what ever dumb reason decided to transition to condition 2 and shot himself .
This is what a lack of training , understanding of the 1911 platform , and total lack of common sense safety can bring about . Luckily he was in front of his doctor's office and they managed to save his leg . Believe it or not , he is not the only man I knew that did this . The other was a Army veteran , 82 Airborne . This one happened about 37 years ago . He was always at the gun shows wearing his beret selling cheap Deawoo rifles and bragging how his Llama was as good as a Colt . While reholstering it he managed to shoot himself , luckily no one else was injured . Moral to the stories , if you're carrying cond.1 learn the correct way and place to unload . Don't be stupid like these idiots . There is no good reason to set hammer down on a loaded chamber .
As I read about the various accidents, it's obvious that it's not the gun but simply not abiding by the four basic rules of firearms safety. Note; finger off the trigger until ready to fire the gun. Every firearms course I've taken a hot range is fine but keep the gun holstered until facing down range and ready to acquire the target. Low ready under some circumstances.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Spent today ay the range with friend we took a collection of firearms and other than SBR shot my 1911 as usual better than all the rest, today Colt Gen Officer model and Wilson CQB went. Had a great time, I could not believe just how much 22 rf brass there as stores out of most pistol ammo here. Probably more 22 that I have ever seen there.

seagiant

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi,
Well uh...From what I read, JMB intended for the 1911 to be carried with the hammer cocked so the sear locked in the half cock notch.

I believe the ARMY was who came up with the thumb safety and grip safety requirement as the 1911 was "tweeked" by the ARMY and Colt so it was accepted by the ARMY and given the contract!

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Not sure the rationale for carrying anything but condition I. Unless maybe, if you were in a defensive situation, you wanted to give your opponent a more fair opportunity to kill you.
This is why my gun is in Condition 1 no matter what!!! :eek:
I give um all a good chance, I can't see so I just shoots at the sound, just to be fair to them ( A-Holes ) of course. ;)

Old guy.jpg

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The military. Hell, I was in the Marine Corps and half the time they had us carry without any ammunition. And look at the Military bases where you aren't even allowed to bring a personal firearm on base.

I was forced to carry my 1911 in Condition-3 when I was in the Army, due to a lack of training and understanding on the Army's part. But in their defense, it was before Col. Cooper et al invented the Modern Technique of the Pistol.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Condition 1 for me too....no kids in my house, so my 1911 is in condition 1 100% of the time on my bedside table or in my holster. The only time it's not is when I disassemble it for cleaning.

Last edited:

sugarfoot

Fanatic
Hi,
Well uh...From what I read, JMB intended for the 1911 to be carried with the hammer cocked so the sear locked in the half cock notch.

I believe the ARMY was who came up with the thumb safety and grip safety requirement as the 1911 was "tweeked" by the ARMY and Colt so it was accepted by the ARMY and given the contract!
The predecessor to the 1911, the 1905, had no external safety at all just an exposed hammer to manipulate. Many of the early autos designed by JMB had NO safety's. The original 1911 prototype had no external safety. It was added by Colt at the request of the Military. Lowering an exposed hammer is as scarry to some as carrying cocked and locked is to others. Either can be safely mastered. I personally use both depending on the situation.