1911 advice

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Looking to buy a 1911 frame pistol, my budget is around 750-800 and I plan on having some work done after I get it. Im looking for advice on what the best 1911 frame pistol is in that price range that is upgradeable and quailty manufacturing. I would like to have it to shoot single stack/Heavy Metal with so not a commander or smaller frame. My options are the Sig Sauers or the Springfields, as far as I can see. I thought about a RIA but Im not sure about those as of yet...Looking for an education, any advice that meets the requirements stated above helps...

please dont tell me something dumb like "buy a wilson"... :hang:

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I'd be looking for a SA or Colt. 5 inch guns show up on Gunbroker, that other forums classifieds, etc all the time.There is a Essex framed 1911 in 38 super over at H&H right now for $399 (nice donor gun).. I've seen a lot of full sized Govt guns around in the $700 range in central OK... your just gonna have to shop around. I'll keep my eyes open for you.

The uglier the better if your going to work it over... enough machine work and parts fitting will get a refinish (of course, stainless buffes out)

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
Have you thought about an STI Spartan? I am also a fan of the RIA Tactical but I only have about 1000 rnds through mine so I am not sure about longevity. Those are my 2 suggestions but remember this advise is worth what you paid for it!!! :great:

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I bought a used Spartan for $550-600 and I am having Accurate Iron touch up the sites, trigger and add a magwell. I think it will still be under $1000 with all that.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
S&W makes a good 1911, and it's in that price range. I didn't care for the Series 80/Schwartz/unnecessary safety, but it's common nowadays.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I would swing by Dawson Precision and look at what they have in their CRP section.

I've only had my Spartan <year. Had to send it back STI because it wouldn't run swc, and now it runs empty cases. On the upside they turned it in 3weeks.

Might also watch the classifieds at enos.

Riich

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had good luck with my Spartan. It also makes you eligible for STI contingency program.
A class win at USPSA Area Matches and some Sectionals will get you some contingency dollars.

too beat up is not good; some guns get rode hard and put away wet. Id look for a nice mil-spec springfield or 70 series colt.

Or save a couple hundred more and get into a sti trojan or even a loaded model SA or a good full size smith and wesson 1911.

Latest posts