1911 adjustable sights

Trek

Fanatic
I'm new to this forum so hope I am posting in the right thread.
I've got 2 Kimber 1911 that I'd like to have adjustable rears sights installed. The rear sight is a bear in that it will not move so I can correct for it shooting consistently to the left of center. Question is what sights will fit and then needing someone to change the sights out.
I'd appreciate ya'lls thoughts.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Not to cast aspersions on your grip or shooting technique, but have you had a couple other people (a good instructor, for instance) shoot the pistol. And did it still shoot left of center?

But to directly answer your question, there are 1911 rear sights with windage adjustments. Some gunsmiths will install them for free if you buy the sight from them. (Assuming no slide machining/milling is needed).

Trek

Fanatic
Not to cast aspersions on your grip or shooting technique, but have you had a couple other people (a good instructor, for instance) shoot the pistol. And did it still shoot left of center?

But to directly answer your question, there are 1911 rear sights with windage adjustments. Some gunsmiths will install them for free if you buy the sight from them. (Assuming no slide machining/milling is needed).
No on other shooters. I've tried different positions gripping the pistol and changing amount of finger from just the pad to first joint on the trigger too. I;ve got a Springfield MilSpec 45 acp and shoot it just fine with its factory sights. Gunfan 111 suggested Dawson Precision. Thanks all for the help.

busykngt

Well-Known Fanatic
Dawson won't be cheap BUT they are a top notch sight (pardon the pun). And if Dawson installs them, you'll know it will be right the first time.

[ETA: You May want to search YouTube; I think I recall they have an informative video on there].

Trek

Fanatic
Thanks for the heads up. I checked out Dawsons webiste and will call them tomorrow. Price of Kimber adj sight set w/fiber optic front looks reasonable.

Trek

Fanatic
Thanks ya'll for the answers to my query. Great forum.

Chuck43

Well-Known Fanatic
Kimber sights can be a bear to move the first time but it can be done. Make sure you loosen the little set screw, then give it a good dose of a penetrating oil and let it sit for a day. The trick is to break it loose, once you do that the sight can easily be adjusted. Even though I have a good sight pusher I find a brass punch works better for breaking it loose, once that is done I use the sight pusher for fine adjustments.

Trek

Fanatic
I appreciate your thoughts on this. I did the penetrating oil and wait...after loosening the set screw. That didn't work. I then tried a little bit of heat, not sure if Kimber used some kind of adhesive. That didn't work. I went back to the oil. Punch and a hammer at that point was causing me to fear marring the slide and sight. I've seen sight pushers listed on the net; one that seemed above the rest I perused but for changing out one set of sights I couldn't justify the cost in comparison to buying the sights and having a smith install them.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
BerFH! Courtesy of TTT.3954
Look at the head. That's what it took to move the last set of kimber sights I did for a buddy. Send cash, you know the drill. I'm in accounting now so new products may vary in appearance.

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Kimber sights can be very, very hard to move. I moved one once on a Raptor that when it finally broke free with my sight pusher it cracked so loud I was sure something had broken. Nothing did break and it then moved reasonable well. If you do not own a good sight pusher I would buy one or pay to have the sight moved for you.

A good sight pusher can be several hundred dollars but once you have one it will be always waiting and ready to serve you.

Trek

Fanatic
BerFH! Courtesy of TTT.View attachment 3954
Look at the head. That's what it took to move the last set of kimber sights I did for a buddy. Send cash, you know the drill. I'm in accounting now so new products may vary in appearance.
Is that like "We need a bigger boat." ? Now, that's a hammer. :) I got a buddy who has a bearing press. Might be worth looking into.

Trek

Fanatic
I really have no issue with the stock Kmber sights other than I cannot move the rear to change impact. I'm figuring an adjustable rear sight that doesn't require a hammer and a punch to be moved would be preferable to the stock sights for that reason alone.
Thanks for the tip on the sights, STI.

Tail Gunner

Active Fanatic
What PipeGuy said. I would recommend NOT putting on adjustable rear sights until you have 1,000 rounds through it. By then your shooting fundamentals will be good enough to decide. Anything that is "adjustable" can shake loose. Then you are chasing a ghost. I adjusted my new 1911 sights and they have never moved in 10,000 rounds.

Ohrings

Fanatic
Kimber sights can be a bear to move the first time but it can be done. Make sure you loosen the little set screw, then give it a good dose of a penetrating oil and let it sit for a day. The trick is to break it loose, once you do that the sight can easily be adjusted. Even though I have a good sight pusher I find a brass punch works better for breaking it loose, once that is done I use the sight pusher for fine adjustments.
Bought a new Kimber and had the same problem with the sights. Lubed the sights and let them stew overnight. they worked in the morning.

Dave

Fanatic
No on other shooters. I've tried different positions gripping the pistol and changing amount of finger from just the pad to first joint on the trigger too. I;ve got a Springfield MilSpec 45 acp and shoot it just fine with its factory sights. Gunfan 111 suggested Dawson Precision. Thanks all for the help.

Did you try shooting with your other hand? For me (I'm a righty), I've shot with my left hand and, more often than not, magically my gun was shooting point of aim or sometimes shooting to the right... It was generally of my own doing.

Anyhow, I've done that to self-diagnose when someone else wasn't available to try.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Thread locker is often used to secure sights, a bit of heat from a soldering iron often helps