18" SS fluted barrel

jhenke

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm looking to change out my 16" barrel for an 18" SS fluted one. Currently, I have a Stag stock one. I'd like to do some competing with the rifle (with a little style), can you guys suggest some choices for me. And, where I can find one. Thanks.

jhenke

Well-Known Fanatic
I've saved up some bucks, so I'm not too concerned about the price. Granted, I'm not looking to have the most expensive AR around. I'm just looking for some ideas.

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
since you mentioned "a little style" check out the legion AR barrels, for a really nice barrel plan on spending 450-500.
if you are leaning more toward accuracy than looks you can contact Shilen or Hart, send them your rifle, and have them drop in whatever you want.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I have a few 18" fluted Satern barrels on the way. They are the Loki pattern. They are a great 3 gun barrel. Let me know if your interested and I'll reserve one for you.

Tedward

Active Fanatic
DoctorJJ said:
I have a few 18" fluted Satern barrels on the way. They are the Loki pattern. They are a great 3 gun barrel. Let me know if your interested and I'll reserve one for you.
What do you mean by the Loki pattern?? I have an 18" Fluted that came with my Loki Billet. I took it to my gunsmith and he said it was steel because a magnet would stick to it. Now come to find out that my brand new 20' VarTac SS Wylde from LW, a magnet sticks to that. Woody said that SS still has magnetic properties at my Loki barrel might be SS.

Do you know how to check for sure? I thought they might have just gave me a steel barrel but as you know, can't call to ask.

Also has the barrel spun and removed the black finish so the barrel is shinny like SS with black Flutes. Looks pretty cool but concerned about rust I DuraCoated it clear.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
These barrels I have coming, and they should be here within a week or two, are stainless steel button barrels from Satern. They are 18" with rifle length gas. They are finished barrels, with threaded ends, fluting, etc. They are the same profile, fluting and weight as the Loki were. They won't say Loki on them. Being as they are Satern, you can be assured that they will great quality, accurate barrels. I'm asking $250 which is about $100 less than what Loki was charging.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Tedward said:
What do you mean by the Loki pattern?? I have an 18" Fluted that came with my Loki Billet. I took it to my gunsmith and he said it was steel because a magnet would stick to it. Now come to find out that my brand new 20' VarTac SS Wylde from LW, a magnet sticks to that. Woody said that SS still has magnetic properties at my Loki barrel might be SS.

Do you know how to check for sure? I thought they might have just gave me a steel barrel but as you know, can't call to ask.

Also has the barrel spun and removed the black finish so the barrel is shinny like SS with black Flutes. Looks pretty cool but concerned about rust I DuraCoated it clear.
I'm a little confused about what you're asking, but different types of stainless have different magnetic properties. Most barrels (and a quick survey with a magnet shows most gun parts that I own, anyway) are 400-series stainless and will attract a magnet. 300-series, which is used for corrosion resistant pipes, food equipment, etc., does not readily attract a magnet.

But anyway, your gunsmith is full of poo if he thinks that no stainless is magnetic.

Tedward

Active Fanatic
Austin T said:
I'm a little confused about what you're asking, but different types of stainless have different magnetic properties. Most barrels (and a quick survey with a magnet shows most gun parts that I own, anyway) are 400-series stainless and will attract a magnet. 300-series, which is used for corrosion resistant pipes, food equipment, etc., does not readily attract a magnet.

But anyway, your gunsmith is full of poo if he thinks that no stainless is magnetic.
I agree with the POO and that's being nice. Were on the out's lately and I found a much better and reliable GS. Anyhow the 400/300 series is what L.W. said too. It was just to much info for me to jot down the notes. So I think my 18" SS Loki barrel may actually be SS as Loki said when I bought it. Time will tell...

Also as far as the SS used on firearms my JP Comp's don't have magnetism properties. The magnet will not stick to them either and I think they are a reliable manufacture.

So how do we tell if something is SS???

dennishoddy

360 grade stainless is not magnetic, but its also too soft to make barrels from. When alloys are added to the stainless to harden it, the material becomes magnetic. The 430-440C stainless. Will be magnetic.

Tedward

Active Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
360 grade stainless is not magnetic, but its also too soft to make barrels from. When alloys are added to the stainless to harden it, the material becomes magnetic. The 430-440C stainless. Will be magnetic.
Thanks and again I think that's what Woody at Loather Walther was saying.

Anyhow started a new post about SS and how to determine if the barrel is or not.

back to this guy's post....

Tedward

Active Fanatic
He needs to be easy on me... He is one gruff dude and he can cover his own a$$... He know's his dodo too.....

Great honest reliable guy and when he answers the phone, thats a real deal business man...

Latest posts