Snub Mike Cox
Subcompact; Jason Grant
Hi-Cap Rick Voight
Other Benjamin McBride

High Point Female Kelly Mullican
High Point Junior Joe Glowaski

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
What was up with stage 4? It seemed to derail a lot of good runs. Was it the "port shooting" or was everyone just tired?

There were more Deltas (114) on stage 4 than the other three stages combined (78).

The number of "mikes" (30) on stage 4 was a little higher than the average on the other 3 stages (22) but nothing like the deltas.

Total penalty seconds by stage:
  • Stage 1= 88
  • Stage 2= 239
  • Stage 3= 231
  • Stage 4=492
What do you guys think happened on Stage 4?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
What was up with stage 4? It seemed to derail a lot of good runs. Was it the "port shooting" or was everyone just tired?

There were more Deltas (114) on stage 4 than the other three stages combined (78).

The number of "mikes" (30) on stage 4 was a little higher than the average on the other 3 stages (22) but nothing like the deltas.

• Stage 1= 88
  • Stage 2= 239
  • Stage 3= 231
  • Stage 4=492

I think the use of "cover" probably gets some folks uptight anyway. It's a different look... and shooting from a awkward position is not something most people do for the heck of it.

Crowding cover makes it worse... you should be back from the port or barricade to 1; take advantage of the protection and 2; shoot around it easier.

Then... we run into a mental thing... a match is a timed game. We shoot behind cover... but then we want to shoot fast. Good cover allows you to return "aimed" fire... and that takes time. When we get back to the "game' a slow hit beats a fast miss or delta every time. When your shooting behind cover on the street...take advantage of it.

That first station... it was easier to lean against the wall and squat a little to make that shot... a straight crouch stll had righ handers twisting to line the shots up..

As a general note.. I hardly ever see anyone shoot around a barrier weak handed (right handers shooting from the left edge,, reverse for lefties) ... you can make that shot strong handed... but sometimes going weak hand lessens exposure. Practice weak hand shooting. It may be something you need to do for real.

This is a carry gun match... speed is fun... but every shot you ever fire on the street should involve a plan, cover, movement and each bullet you let fly has a little lawyer attached....

B

Beau

I enjoyed firing the extra bullets. that was a good match david. Thanks!

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
That first station... it was easier to lean against the wall and squat a little to make that shot... a straight crouch stll had righ handers twisting to line the shots up..

Try doing it with a rifle.....yet I didn't find it unusually difficult. Different, yes, but not difficult.

I hardly ever see anyone shoot around a barrier weak handed (right handers shooting from the left edge,, reverse for lefties) ... you can make that shot strong handed... but sometimes going weak hand lessens exposure.

I would argue that firing strong handed would result is a faster, accurate shot, ending hostilities sooner, but your point is still valid.

Practice weak hand shooting. It may be something you need to do for THE NEXT MATCH

Fixed it for you!!

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent

For me it wasn't just stage 4, it was bad everywhere, one of those nights everything was not good. Started with an FTE I had trouble clearing and set the tone for the rest of the night. Who knows, maybe my Biorhythms, Kharma, Feng Shui, or just no brain cells switched on.

But on a positive note, I did shoot while moving for my first time and was pleased with the hits. David worked with us on that at his class Saturday, so not all bad then.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
For me it wasn't just stage 4, it was bad everywhere, one of those nights everything was not good. Started with an FTE I had trouble clearing and set the tone for the rest of the night. Who knows, maybe my Biorhythms, Kharma, Feng Shui, or just no brain cells switched on.

But on a positive note, I did shoot while moving for my first time and was pleased with the hits. David worked with us on that at his class Saturday, so not all bad then.

I was shooting a new 9mm 1911... that wont always hit slide lock...
I guess someone was counting shots behind me... they thought it was a 45 cal 8 round gun... I kept hearing "reload" or "dry" -plus I was trying to get to slide lock on purpose (thanks Wes for loaning me some Tripp mags) to see if the Tripps would lock the slide.
Needless to say-my peabrain went to overload a couple of times...

Good time anyway... the pistol shoots like a laser beam.. I can see the "bowmar-like" sights. I guess I need to get Springfeild Armory to send out a slide release and see if that helps.. or order a 9mm/38 super version from Wilson or sombody.

The SA version is higher and wider (but not "extended) compared to a Colt GI or Commerical version. I may be riding it with my thumb a bit...

xdnok

Well-Known Fanatic

• Stage 1= 88
  • Stage 2= 239
  • Stage 3= 231
  • Stage 4=492

I'm claiming "tired"................................ but reality is we don't get into these positions often and that makes bullets or least mine go not where I planed. I would bet that David will find some more "practice" for us in the future :O

Wes

PDN

Well-Known Fanatic
That was one of my best stages... It's the easy stages have trouble with!!! :)))

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
When everyone can shoot my stages fast and clean, it means I didn't make them challenging enough.

That said, there's nothing especially difficult about any of the shots. 90% or better of the shooters CAN make every shot.....in practice. Add the timer, tho, and it's a different story.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
also want to thank don ross for bringing the "new" targets... it was a nice change up with the shooting 4 body, 1 groin, 1 head (even though i got a stupid procedural)... it was a nice change up!!! thanks again... what a great community we have here... also have been complements on wes lately about how great he is with new shooters!! also props to mack who has been helping out with various things!! this is a great group of guys to represent the gun community!!!

+1 Benjamin! Having a great time at the matches myself. Really appreciate everyone that makes it happen!

"this is a great group of guys to represent the gun community!!!"

(better include the ladies benjamin..they are armed you know :girlwacko: )

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
No pictures of the winners?

Not the winners, but here is a picture of my squad. They were really aggressive for some reason

dodgeball-movie-f01.jpg

Latest posts