would like to find nice looking wood box with drawers to house gun cleaning supplies and tools

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
A friend suggested I should stain it. I think it already has some kind of light coat of some clear finish on it. Even if it didn't, I often find imported wood products to be made of weird hardwoods that dont take stain well, if at all, like exhausted rubber trees.

It will end up covered in Hoppes #9 and Mobile 1 before spring arrives. I'll just need to keep it away from open flames. Lol

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
https://gerstnerusa.com/1901_sale
Pricy, but holds a 12 oz spray can
Yes that's a great looking box. The problem I have is that for that much money, I could be half way to purchasing a new gun! I guess that's why my cleaning supplies are stored in a cardboard box. The box fieldgrade ,mentions above on Amazon looks reasonable and it's only $32. Oh well, I guess that's why they call this an addiction...

Thx guys.

awmp

Well-Known Fanatic
I really like the looks of the Harbor Freight box and the price is about right for me. I may have to get it a try.

Old Bill

Active Fanatic
I like the Harbor Freight boxes because of the cost and they work well enough. I use one for fishing (fly trying and making some lures) and one for shooting. I use the same table for both pursuits.. As a few fellas mentioned You will need a larger box for your oils and cleaners.. I use an old wooden wine box that has a sliding top.

For that portable table of yours consider using a ratcheting strap placed near the table leg's locking mechanisms to reduce your portable table's "jiggling". I put a 3/4 in plywood top on mine, adding an edge and a 12 inch backstop to reduce any marking of the wall. The weight helps to stabilize and having an actual flat surface is nice. "Deft" natural wood stain provides an easy and more finished appearance. Be sure to keep any finish light or little parts will " Ninja Vanish" more often than they already do.

Odor control.. First off for the record let's be clear.. Hoppes #9 is is dual purpose and a fine Cologne even better than Hai Karate.
It is indeed a tragic situation that most ladies do not agree.

I have a piece of unfinished plywood about 24" x 16".. I use it when I am cleaning then put it outside on the porch.

All the best.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I was going to suggest the box from Harbour Freight but was already mentioned. That would cover you except for the 6" bottles you would have to store them separately. Everything else fits nicely the box holds up well. I purchased one a few years ago and use it to keep my cleaning supplies in it. I got a small cabinet from Home Depot that I hung on the wall above my work bench for the solvents and other tall items. You can't go wrong for the price and it may be a knock off but it still looks good and works for my needs.

DSTALLGUY

Active Fanatic
I realize it's not a box but it has served me well , has lined drawers, and a nice vise built in, i glued in 3/4 dia. Dowels to plug the holes in the work surface. Got it on sale at Harbor freight for $119.95, very sturdy! View attachment 3107
I have the same one from HF. Works fine just don't overload the bottom
Shelf as it's not rated for much weight

BearDenn

New Fanatic
If you want a higher end piece that is custom made, find a local woodworker. Less expensive than the Gerstner and I'm sure much better built than the harbor freight.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Not for the OP as it looks like he is all set, but I use my old roll away toolboxes for gun tools, cleaners, lubes, snake oils, what have you. Work great and they can double as a very sturdy bench. They can be had lightly used on craigslist for a song. Some even look great. I've got one that's stainless with a butcher block top that I would put in the kitchen. Granted its 72" long so for now it's in the garage but it was only a few hundred if i remember correctly. Pics when i finish the garage floor and get it put back together.

Whatever

Fanatic
How about the Harbor Freight with this mod..... Lock one of the top drawers and cut out the top base to let the can drop down.

Latest posts