Worn holsters can cause Accidental Discharge

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Any holster than breaks down like that is - in my opinion - poorly engineered. Belt slides are a compromise anyway... and most do not have a double layer or stiffener sewn in the mouth of the holster. An additional layer at the mouth makes reholstering easier and should keep that "wrinkle" out of the trigger guard.

I appreciate the warning. This story also shows the need to inspect and evaluate our equipment for flaws or potential failure every time we use it.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
So what I got from the article was he knew his holster was worn out but was to cheap to get a new one and he got shot.

dennishoddy

I'll bet that scared the crap out of him when that went off! :eek:

That holster should have gone in the trash a long time ago.

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
I had a JIT slide for my glock but after the 2nd time the pistol fell out of it while sitting in my truck it went in the trash and I switched to IWB carry

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I had a JIT slide for my glock but after the 2nd time the pistol fell out of it while sitting in my truck it went in the trash and I switched to IWB carry

Yeah, there is something about the gun sticking out of the bottom of a holster that always bothered me, and I think that is exactly why.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
I own a couple of JIT's... but only carry "short" handguns in them. I have tried a 4 inch SW in them.. and feel that those are too long to sit with--- they like to creep up and out.

Snubbies seem to stay in just fine.

Those flattened cone- shaped belt slides really worry me though. Especially the ones with a cheap steel clip. I own one that gets very limited use with a SW 39-2. Even after that slide was wet molded to the pistol- it still likes to trip the safety-decocker to "fire".

Next spare $80 bucks I get is going to David E for a Kytac IWB for that pistol

TroyF

TheBearcat
I gotta agree with Jeff. If you are gonna go IWB (particularly if you carry in the Appendix position), I think Kydex is the way to go. That particular area is prone to a lot of flexion and extension, so a leather holster MIGHT wear faster there. Then your Appendix carry becomes Vasectomy Carry position.