Why would anyone want to be a cop today?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
People are not waiting for the police to come.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
People are not waiting for the police to come.

My little brother was a cop for 28 years. I don't ask and he doesn't tell, but he would definitely agree with not wanting to be a cop, especially in this day and age. He's gone so far as to tell me you can't always back the blue, there's a LOT of bad cops out there. Miss LD and I live in a small village about 9 miles from Ionia which has a prison. You could not PAY me to be a cop, or a CO no matter what. We are blessed with what I consider a great Sheriff, and the deputies I've met all seem to be great. Still I'm sure there's the fair share of a-holes in that dept. too. Just sayin' I'm glad there are still those who still back the cops, but from what I see a lot of times some are arrogant bullies on a power trip. I guess what I'm trying to convey is this, we're all human, all prone to mistakes, but some jobs carry a higher degree of responsibility same as doctors firemen pastors....These folks are, and should be held to a higher standard, and when they fall, they should expect to be disciplined. Personally I have never had a bad situation with the police. But I don't hold them or anyone else on a pedestal either. Please excuse my ramblings, I sometimes have a hard time saying or writing what I'm thinking.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
My little brother was a cop for 28 years. I don't ask and he doesn't tell, but he would definitely agree with not wanting to be a cop, especially in this day and age. He's gone so far as to tell me you can't always back the blue, there's a LOT of bad cops out there. Miss LD and I live in a small village about 9 miles from Ionia which has a prison. You could not PAY me to be a cop, or a CO no matter what. We are blessed with what I consider a great Sheriff, and the deputies I've met all seem to be great. Still I'm sure there's the fair share of a-holes in that dept. too. Just sayin' I'm glad there are still those who still back the cops, but from what I see a lot of times some are arrogant bullies on a power trip. I guess what I'm trying to convey is this, we're all human, all prone to mistakes, but some jobs carry a higher degree of responsibility same as doctors firemen pastors....These folks are, and should be held to a higher standard, and when they fall, they should expect to be disciplined. Personally I have never had a bad situation with the police. But I don't hold them or anyone else on a pedestal either. Please excuse my ramblings, I sometimes have a hard time saying or writing what I'm thinking.
Good example of someone who was on the inside sharing knowledge. I have no problem believing there are a lot of bad cops. Any cross section of humanity will yield similar percentages of good people versus bad people. Cops are no different. The percentage of bad cops may even be higher than other cross sections of people because of their proximity to the worst of humanity on a constant basis.

With that said, I would never choose to be a cop in this day. The number of knuckleheads out there is just ridiculous.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
8 yrs. Level 3 Reserves. Sherriff and City PD. When the time came to go FT sworn I didn't. Glad I stayed with my regular (government contractor) job. The profession was going downhill then. Now it really sucks. The administrations have been compromised and are spineless. You don't even know who to trust. Thats really bad when your life is at stake. And the public's too.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Many years ago I considered a career in law enforcement.. the idea quickly vanished when I discovered that a LEO couldn't fire on someone unless they were fired upon first.. That ended any thought of entering the profession. No way I'd let someone get a shot at me before I fired @ them.

after hearing how LEO's are treated by the media, and unsupportred by their administration, it's no wonder no one wants to work in that field.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Over there, 1911 addicts I posted that soon no one will apply for the jobs. Commies had done it all before.
I said that within 2 years of leaving the cops out to dry, & rewarding the bad guys, you would really find it hard to find recruits.

What did they say? Oh your full of it real cops will always want to serve. Really? How's that going for the armed forces?

Recruits of all kinds are just not showing up. Who can blame them?

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I found just the opposite to be true having done 30 years in the profession. I also would not want to do it today.
I can believe that. I was speaking of today. Things have changed and changed fast. Police Officers are not respected today as in the past. The young people, of which many have had no church upbringing or introdution to God, are completely out of control.

When I was in grade school, we didn't have "school resource officers" because there was no need for one. I would argue that we have allowed God to be removed from schools and replaced him with a Police Officer to deal with the chaos that has resulted.

Many of these miscreants are the thugs Police Officers are dealing with today.

Latest posts