Why not the M3?

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
I keep hearing about the greatness of the Benelli M-1's and M-2's, but never hear about the M-3. Any comments on the convertable?

Don

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
The M3 like the M4 is a gas gun. The M1 and M2 utilize the inertia system to cycle the gun. That inertia system allow the gun to run dirtier and more reliably than any gas gun over time. Plus the M3 has ghost ring sights. Last the jack of all trades master of none rule. You can shoot any shotgun in 3 gun. Some just work better than others.

NL7CO

Well-Known Fanatic
The M3 like the M4 is a gas gun. The M1 and M2 utilize the inertia system to cycle the gun. That inertia system allow the gun to run dirtier and more reliably than any gas gun over time. Plus the M3 has ghost ring sights. Last the jack of all trades master of none rule. You can shoot any shotgun in 3 gun. Some just work better than others.

Page 16 of the M3 operators manual (http://www.benelliusa.com/assets/manuals/Benelli_M3_manual.pdf) says "The new M3 SUPER 90 uses the weapon's recoil energy to operate in the semi-automatic mode." I take that to mean that is not a gas gun.

I figured that it might be the one shotgun you need for both IMGA and USPSA heavy metal classes.

Don

Chambers

actual GM
Hmm...I got nothing to offer other than KISS (keep it simple, stupid). Having that extra functionality is another place for Murphy to show up.

The ghost ring sights are probably another factor, as well as the cost. I mean you can buy an M1 AND a pump gun for the cost of a M3.

Nobody races with those. Smiths have really figured out the M1/M2 platform and can pimp out the loading ports, lifters, mag tubes, buttons, sights, barrel lengths, chokes, etc.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Page 16 of the M3 operators manual (http://www.benellius...i_M3_manual.pdf) says "The new M3 SUPER 90 uses the weapon's recoil energy to operate in the semi-automatic mode." I take that to mean that is not a gas gun.

I figured that it might be the one shotgun you need for both IMGA and USPSA heavy metal classes.

Don

I stand corrected! I assumed the M3 was the previous rendition of the M4. I see they are both still current production guns. I am afraid I spoke to soon and can't answer your question correclty. My apologies for leading you astray.

With the price of these M3's at $1400 for a new one I would say get a $1200 M2 and a $350 Nova and worry less about having the Murphy's law issues Mike mentioned.

Hopefully our new member and resident Benelli expert Mr. Majestic will chime in here and make me sound dumb and answer your questions.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
The pump mechanism on the M3 isn't all that smooth (unlike the Nova). Having both systems on the same gun increases the weight and complexity. Like JT stated, jack of all trades master of none.

Latest posts