Why all the love for Meindl?

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
So I am replacing my boots this year, I have had a pair of Bellville flight deck boots for over a decade, they are no longer waterproof and the soles are worn smooth. So I was looking at red wing's Irish Setters which led me to internet forums, and a lot of people keep saying meindl's are far superior. So I looked at them, found out they are a cabela's only thing here in the US and that perhaps the quality of workmanship was lowered to meet market demand. Here is my question, why all the love for them, while I do not doubt their comfort, they utilize glued on soles and and what appears to be very thin leather over synthetic materials, nothing wrong with that, but for the price, I find it strange, and I also find it strange that people will disparage red wing in favor of them, so I am curious, does cabela's give you free laces throughout the life of the boot? will cabelas clean and condition the boot when I bring them in over the life of the boot? will they replace the hardware for free when it wears out? Can the boots be resoled? Because these are all things that redwing offers, and I cant imagine a big box retailer offering the same thing?

ShaneP

Looks good to me
I've found Red Wing tough to beat for quality and comfort. I don't have experience with the Irish Setter line.

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
The Irish Setters are one of the only lines Red Wing still makes here in the State's. Some of their other parts are still made stateside but then shipped overseas for assembly.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Joe Frechette said:
The Irish Setters are one of the only lines Red Wing still makes here in the State's. Some of their other parts are still made stateside but then shipped overseas for assembly.
Actually they are made in Vietnam. Only the heritage line by red wing and some select red wing brand is made in us. You can almost guarantee that if it is under 300 dollars, its probably outsourced. Does this mean i think its lesser quality? Not necessarily. I would rather take quality leather shoe made in vietnam than a synthetic glued tohether shoe made in Taiwan or Philippines or Vietnam.

Huntersworld

Fanatic
I bought this pair of Meindls in Germany in 2009 (I think... could have been 2010). I've put ALOT of miles on them in all sorts of terrain. They are still my go to shoe for hunting and hiking. The one negative I can think of is that they are not the best insulated. Not ideal for long sits in a stand, but with the right socks that is not that big of a problem. Never had wet feet in them.

I currently wear red wings to work. I am on my feet 11-12 hours a day and typically walk 7-9 miles. Red wings are great boots. I just have not bought a pair for hunting.

I'd say go with the brand with the most available options for you to try on in store. I didn't know Meindl was popular here in the states. Now im curious what kind of selection there is at cabelas or similar stores. You say it is only Cabelas that carries them? Im a little skeptical of that whole set up. Like you said, is the quality the same as those sold over seas?

thumb_pre_1502602338__img_0176.jpg

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Huntersworld said:
I bought this pair of Meindls in Germany in 2009 (I think... could have been 2010). I've put ALOT of miles on them in all sorts of terrain. They are still my go to shoe for hunting and hiking. The one negative I can think of is that they are not the best insulated. Not ideal for long sits in a stand, but with the right socks that is not that big of a problem. Never had wet feet in them.

I currently wear red wings to work. I am on my feet 11-12 hours a day and typically walk 7-9 miles. Red wings are great boots. I just have not bought a pair for hunting.

I'd say go with the brand with the most available options for you to try on in store. I didn't know Meindl was popular here in the states. Now im curious what kind of selection there is at cabelas or similar stores. You say it is only Cabelas that carries them? Im a little skeptical of that whole set up. Like you said, is the quality the same as those sold over seas?
As far as I know, probably not, we are talking about taking a boot that is normaly 500-700 dollars and selling it for 300, furthermore putting Cabela's on the boot itself, so it is Cabela's Meindl. Like I said, examining them, the construction did not seem to warrant the 100 dollars difference, it is micosuede and nylon mesh. Which is fine for function, but I can't imagine microsuede standing to what full grain leather can and for 300 or more dollars, I expect a lot of life out them.

Latest posts