Who knew?? Funny/sad

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I miss Lloyd Bridges and his show Seahunt

That is the show that started me on diving and why I moved to the Florida Keys.

Ya ever notice that he was always 60 feet down, and running low on air? Or is it just me? For the record, I loved that show, along with Rip Cord, Combat, Galant men.....Man things have sure changed, and unfortunately not for the better.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Ya ever notice that he was always 60 feet down, and running low on air? Or is it just me? For the record, I loved that show, along with Rip Cord, Combat, Galant men.....Man things have sure changed, and unfortunately not for the better.
60 feet is the max depth for openwater diver cert. and back in that time the tanks did not have a pressure gauge to tell what was still in the tank. They had a low pressure system that stopped air flow at about 500psi and you had to pull the lever down to release the remaining 500psi in the tank to be able to use that remaining air. Those guys back then were always running out of air and had about 500psi left to go to the surface after they pulled down the reserve lever and if that reserve lever got pulled down prematurely, they did not have that 500psi reserve anymore and those guys ran out of air at depth. It was not the safest sport at that time. 1661128855312.gif

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
60 feet is the max depth for openwater diver cert. and back in that time the tanks did not have a pressure gauge to tell what was still in the tank. They had a low pressure system that stopped air flow at about 500psi and you had to pull the lever down to release the remaining 500psi in the tank to be able to use that remaining air. Those guys back then were always running out of air and had about 500psi left to go to the surface after they pulled down the reserve lever and if that reserve lever got pulled down prematurely, they did not have that 500psi reserve anymore and those guys ran out of air at depth. It was not the safest sport at that time. View attachment 28002
Thank you for clarifying that for me. I never knew that. I always say there is a LOT of knowledge here, and this just proves it again. Thank you again I appreciate that.

ButchA

Well-Known Fanatic
Never been scuba diving. No air tank, regulators, nothing... Only snorkeling and free-diving with a mask, fins, and a big ol' healthy inhale of air....

Max depth ever as a teenage kid: 25', following a floating dock polypropylene line, hand over hand, to a clump of cinderblocks. Once I reached about that depth, I heard an awful squeal in my ears due to the pressure. I flipped myself upright, and swam straight up as fast as I could.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
Never been scuba diving. No air tank, regulators, nothing... Only snorkeling and free-diving with a mask, fins, and a big ol' healthy inhale of air....

Max depth ever as a teenage kid: 25', following a floating dock polypropylene line, hand over hand, to a clump of cinderblocks. Once I reached about that depth, I heard an awful squeal in my ears due to the pressure. I flipped myself upright, and swam straight up as fast as I could.
That happen because no one taught you how to fix that ear problem. You are lucky that you did not cause damage to your ears.

Latest posts