White perch

dennishoddy

Went fishing at Sooner lake yesterday morning. Caught two blue cat big enough to eat, but then our latest invasive specie in Sooner, the white perch showed up, and I couldn't get a bait to the bottom before the white perch would strip the bait off.
A couple were big enough to clean, but I've never heard of anybody doing so.
Anybody try to eat one?

Eellis

Well-Known Fanatic
Not me . I suppose you could eat one but probably not enough meat to be worth the time . Next time cutem open and send down as bait.

dennishoddy

I know the ODW doesnt want them in the lake, so I just left them on the bank until they croaked and then put them back in so the crawdads would have something to eat.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Went fishing at Sooner lake yesterday morning. Caught two blue cat big enough to eat, but then our latest invasive specie in Sooner, the white perch showed up, and I couldn't get a bait to the bottom before the white perch would strip the bait off.
A couple were big enough to clean, but I've never heard of anybody doing so.
Anybody try to eat one?

I wish they were yellow perch!!! That is a fine eating fish.

I thought white perch were native, but they could still be invasive if they are expanding there range.

Hey Dennis, were you fishing from your boat? Is it too hot to fish in the discharge now?? I ask because I am only bank access.

(everytime I see your avatar, I want to read your name as Hoody).

cheers

Kevin

dennishoddy

Yeah, the discharge is too hot. I was fishing at the intake, employees only.
I did a little research since I got home, and found out why the white perch is an invasive specie.
Like most of the invasive specie in Okla, it came from the great lakes most likely in ballast water from foreign ships.

On the east coast, especially the Hudson River, they are considered a great eating fish, and there are efforts to increase their numbers.

At the great lakes, biologists have discovered that they have an appetite for fish eggs, in fact they survive in the spring eating nothing but walleye and white bass eggs. Other times during the year, they are voracious eaters of small minnows, and they don't care what specie.
They are cousins of the white bass, and can easily hybridize with the specie, and then cross back over, screwing up the whole gene pool.
Each female can produce 140,000 eggs a season.

In my research, I found out that its a violation of wildlife laws to possess one that is alive in Kansas.
I'll do a little looking around on the ODW website, and see what they recommend. Its a loosing battle on Sooner lake, with the Zebra mussels also contributing to the loss of the food chain for hybrids and white bass.

phytoplankton eat zooplankton, and shad eat the phytoplankton, then stripers and white bass eat the shad to complete the food chain.

The zebra mussels have almost wiped out the zooplankton, disrupting the food chain. Fish that should weigh 10 pounds weigh 8 or less due to lack of nutrition.

The white perch are only going to basically take over the lake. Sux

Latest posts