Which shotgun loading technique is more important?

Jm_obrien

Well-Known Fanatic
Title says it, which of the loading techniques would you say is more commonly used? I first learned the weak hand deuces and while not 100% proficient with it, it was slow even when I got it right. So in this off-season I have been working on weak hand quads and as of tonight I started strong hand quads. So that's it, what should I focus on?

Jm_obrien

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse, you seem to use strong hand almost all the time right? I mean I see the point of strong hand if maneuvering around a barricade since the gun is nearly vertical and tucked in tight but I am so much more comfortable weak hand. And to make it more confusing, I've seen a few like Romero load singles from a quad caddy. Either way, it's pretty fun learning each technique. It'd be alot more fun if I could master any of them lol!!

Jm_obrien

Well-Known Fanatic
Lol! So I hate to keep asking stupid questions but what are the pros and cons if any to weak and strong hand loads?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Gun is shorter when it's over the shoulder when loading strong hand.
Gun can burn your weakhand when loading strong hand.
Super fast and easy to lay gun upside down and lauda quick 2-4 off the table weakhand.

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
Several Jersey wearing guys at my local, with way too much time on their hands, determined (for them) loading 4 strong hand is faster. Loading more than 4, weak hand is faster. Mainly due to the distance your hand has to travel from belt to gun. YMMV

ASH556

Active Fanatic
More fuel to the weak-hand fire: Garcia burning down a stage loading quads weak-handed: (My belief is that they are all the best or all the worst technique depending on how much time you're willing to put into learning them. You will still see Romero loading weak-handed from the old-school 4-shell caddies from time to time. He'll still beat you doing it too. Loading is one of many skills (footwork, stage planning, recoil control, etc) that make a successful 3-gunner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HU2qWBD7E4

Latest posts