Which reticle to get?

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I have a certificate for a Trijicon 1-4x24 and can choose between the triangle on a post or the German #4. Also have choices of color. I'd appreciate any feedback about which one to go with and why. The triangle seems more like traditional irons to me and the tip of the triangle would seem to offer more precision. But I've also been told thar the German #4 will likely allow someone to shoot a bit faster. Anyone know how big the dot is on the German #4? is it 1 MOA? 4 MOA?
I'd like something that is good for competition but would also be good for hitting a coyote out to 300 yards. Thanks.

Chambers

actual GM
Either. They're both good. Lots of successful shooters shoot each kind, so it's a personal preference. I like the #4, it's a little more traditional.

You could slay a yote at 300+ with either.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Either. They're both good. Lots of successful shooters shoot each kind, so it's a personal preference. I like the #4, it's a little more traditional.

You could slay a yote at 300+ with either.

Great info. What about color? Any color better for daytime conditions or against particular target backgrounds?

Chambers

actual GM
Green is nice on the #4. If I had a triangle I'd want red (it contrasts a little more).

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Green is nice on the #4. If I had a triangle I'd want red (it contrasts a little more).

Thanks for the info. Ideally, I'd like to see a version of each and look through them a good bit before making my decision. Unfortunately, I live out in the sticks and I don't even know who might stock these. Sportsworld? Even if they do, I doubt they have all the different colors of each version.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
#4 green here too. I also have a TR20-2 which is a 3-9x40 optic with mil-dot reticle and yellow dot. And I've had a couple red ACOGs and a green acog. The mil-dot is awesome on a 3-9 optic and IMO is the best optic for " slayin yotes". It stays on 3 power most of the time but the ability to zoom up to 9 power is very convenient. My brother has the tr24g with the green triangle. We both like the German #4 reticle better but he got a smokin deal on it.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
the dot in the geramn #4 is 1 moa. I had a green german #4 and I liked it. The red triangle is very popular with the 3 gun crowd elsewhere in the country though.

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
Thanks for the info guys. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a green German #4. I'm sure it will be way faster than I ever will be for close work or competitions, but then will allow me to be more precise with distance, especially if I had to do a hold over which would be tough with the triangle on a post.

Latest posts