What should I be paying

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
What should I expect to pay for a pound of powder.
I understand that price varies by type I am just looking for round numbers.
I saw a few pounds of a powder I use but thought the price was too high.

Howland

Fanatic
I listed an 8lb jug of H4350 (not here) for $300 and got flamed for price gouging even though I pointed out the same item had multiple listings on GB that had bid up to $500. To be fair, I only listed a cash price because site rules required it and clearly stated that my preference was an even trade for a different powder equally scarce.

In the meantime, while the flame war continued (only a little bit of the gasoline was my own unashamed defense), GB bids went to $600, one got snapped up for an $800 BIN and new listings increased their BIN to $900.

A few days later after I found what I needed and withdrew my offer, several online retailers received Hodgdon shipments and how would you feel if you had a $600 bid, the auction was still open and you could buy it online for $220 + S&H?

Online stocks got wiped out in minutes, not hours. The current market value actually changed from $600+, to ~$240, then right back to $600 within hours. Market value = willing buyer + willing seller. Always.

May you live in interesting times.

Howland

Fanatic
Normal prices for most common rifle powders run between $28-33. Once in a while you find a sale that lowers the cost. More frequently it will be free or reduced shipping costs or waived Hazmat fees that make something a deal too good to pass up. Unfortunately, these are not normal times, but normal times might have just permanently changed.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
I recall paying about $35/pound for benchmark. It's not the cheapest powder, but works very well in my 6.8SPC loads.

Right now, I can't even buy reloading *dies* for any remotely modern caliber. This is crazy.

rotarymike

Well-Known Fanatic
You can equally blame Twitler for 4 years of stoking fears that CivWar2 was upon us. Which, to be fair, it may well be. But there's enough fearmongering (IE, plain old lying) on both sides. :rolleyes:

Latest posts