What Factory Ammo Do You Run In Your Carry Gun

n8thegr8

Fanatic
I run the Federal 9mm +P+ 115gr JHPs (9BPLE). My dad bought me a box a little while back and I like em, they're pretty cheap too. I got mine from CTD, but looks like they don't sell em anymore. Looks like I'll have to bend over and pay for the HSTs next time :(

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm running the Federal Hydra Shok's in my Taurus 738 TCP .380. They were the only thing I could find localy when I bought the gun back in September.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
How often do you guys cycle out your ammo? It's a high probability that you'll have the same carry ammo for long periods of time. I usually will go shoot it all off and replace it once a year. Curious what everyone else does?

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
How often do you guys cycle out your ammo? It's a high probability that you'll have the same carry ammo for long periods of time. I usually will go shoot it all off and replace it once a year. Curious what everyone else does?

If you're talking about rotating ammo due to age, I wouldn't worry about it. Ammo 10, 20 or 30 years old will shoot just fine. If you're talking about ammo that has been rechambered, I'd be concerned about bullet setback. I'd check some unchambered ammo against chambered ammo with calipers to see if there has been any bullet setback.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Good point dustin, thats why I never strip my first round from the mag on my carry gun, I insert it in the chamber then load a full mag. I dont intend to cycle out my ammo do to aage but often enough I end up having to shoot some of it at matches ;p

That's not good for the extractor.

OlSlyGuy

Well-Known Fanatic
Everyone should read this before they choose a self defense round. its a long read but its well worth it. It goes into detail about each caliber and gives you an in depth analysis on the effectiveness of each caliber. More importantly, it tells you the best self defense round for each caliber including manufacturer and bullet weight. Most of these opinions are based upon the work of Massad Ayoob, Evan Marshall and Ed Sanow, police officers who have extensively studied the issue of firearms, ammunition and stopping power.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/ammo_by_anonymous.htm

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
KurtM said:
Now James...that would depend on the pistol and extractor design.

I suppose it's one of things where, because it's bad for 1911s, it became "bad" for all guns in our common understanding.

However, at least in my experience, my 1911 is the only gun I have where rounds smack into the feedramp hard enough to cause bullet setback. With the M&Ps, the round basically gives the feed ramp a love tap, and I've re-chambered the same round quite a few times without causing setback (I've measured). I'm not sure if the external extractor is damaged by snapping over the rim of a cartridge, but I know I don't gain anything by doing that.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
James, if your bullets hit the feed ramp that hard you either need different magazines or an "elevated" mag catch. It shouldn't be that hard on any 1911 design.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I think I made it sound like setback is worse than it is. I noticed significant setback after a few months maybe.

It's my understanding that solid contact between the round and the frame ramp is a consequence of the 1911's controlled feed system. Some mags are rougher than others though. I have a Baer magazine that lifts the round up high enough that it basically bypasses the frame ramp, but that mag sucks.

Or I'm sure Durning could fix it! 8)

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry Gold Dot 124gr +Ps in the CW9,
Gold Dot Short Barrel +P in the jaybird.
At home it's CorBon 200gr +P HP of the .45 persuasion and Winchester Low Recoil 00 Buck, though I'm trying to figure out if standard power foster type slugs would be a better choice.

Latest posts