What do you think about the Sub caliber device 4 the AR?

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Bad Wolf

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one of those. It's fun to use at the range. The bore size diameter of 22lr isn't quite the same as the 5.56 though so you can't expect match grade accuracy. It'll make up for that with fun factor.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
CMMG sets the standard with the 22 conversion.

I had one for years, then I build a dedicated upper. Shooting 22 in an AR is great for new shooters and trigger time on the cheap

LoneOak

Fanatic
I've got one built into a pistol upper with an 80% lower that I milled myself. I didn't put a brace on it nor did I put a gas block or tube in it. I built the whole thing with spare parts I had acquired after working on ARs for a long while now. I did put a little lazer on the front and if you hold it right just shooting at the lazer spot is a blast, the accuracy is not perfect but not bad at all for such a fun little gun.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd read that the issue with all those conversions, as relates to accuracy, is that the bullet has to " jump" from the chamber of the conversion unit
to engage the rifling of the barrel.. this results in a level of decreased accuracy. Ended up buying a S&W M&P 15-22 for not too much more than the price of a conversion..& has the additional benefit of not gunking up my other AR's barrel or gas system from those dirty 22 rimfire shells..

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd read that the issue with all those conversions, as relates to accuracy, is that the bullet has to " jump" from the chamber of the conversion unit
to engage the rifling of the barrel.. this results in a level of decreased accuracy. Ended up buying a S&W M&P 15-22 for not too much more than the price of a conversion..& has the additional benefit of not gunking up my other AR's barrel or gas system from those dirty 22 rimfire shells..

The biggest disadvantage of this adapter kit, is the improper rifling for the .22LR

They still manage 4"ish groups at 50m, ok for a plinker. My dedicated .22LR Spikes upper will shoot sub 2" groups at 50m with cheap ammo