What do you carry while hunting?

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Just curious what everyone takes with them when they go hunting. It can vary a lot I know depending on where you hunt. On public land I tend to walk a long ways to get away from all the other hunters. Years ago the place I hunted I would normally walk close to 2 miles to get to "my" spot. My thinking when traveling that far in is that if I fall and break an ankle, or something I had better be ready to spend the night. Not like packing a tent, but enough water and snacks to not have to worry about that kind of stuff. So, what do yall usually take? Here's my list for this year.

M1 Garand / with two clips and a couple few rounds since the clips have to be loaded with 8 to work.

1911, and spare mag.

2 knives, one that very sharp for gutting, one that's utility sharp for the rib cage and other rougher tasks.

Compact Binos.

Some first aid items...

Para cord.

Short rope to hang deer with while gutting, and drag with.

Some camo net materiel for making a screen/blind.

A small water bottle, and a 1 liter water bottle.

Snacks, beef jerky, fruit, candy etc.

I am sure I am missing a few things, but yall get the idea.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
No phone? If I break my ankle while hunting, I'm calling someone to come get my sorry ass.

I take rifle, ammo, calls, iPhone, a couple knives, and maybe a sidearm. Ounces make pounds. Pounds make pain. But I don't hunt on public land either so I may have a 300 yard walk to my stand. I still hate carrying a bunch of stufff because I know I'll just have to carry it back.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh yeah, the phone.... course having a phone is like having a wallet, you just don't think about it.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
Depends on where I plan to hunt. Leaving detailed instructions about where I expect to be and what time I expect to head home are nearly as important as what goes in my bag.

Minimum stuff...usually in a old GI Alice Butt bag and pistol belt with suspenders

Fire starter stuff
snacks
water
small first aid kit
mirror and whistle
about 50' of light rope and a wad of 550 cord
extra knife
dry socks
a couple of zip lock bags

I'd add more stuff if spending a night lost was a real concern. When I lived up north... the possibility of sub zero overnight temps added some extra garments. But I have to stress that someone always knows where I am headed.

My uncle spend a night out on a little backflooding along the Missisppi one night. He flipped his little boat over fishing and lost his paddles. Of course, he changed his mind and was fishing a couple of miles from where he'd talked about going. Ed was really happy to see us when we showed up, we kinda knew the likely several places he like to haunt. He was a good half hour from where we found his truck parked.

dennishoddy

My hunting area is a whole lot different that what most of you hunt in. I can see two or three miles in any direction, and its private ground. Pretty much a few scrub trees, grass, and brush in the middle of sections of wheat, milo and beans.
So, being confined to small hunt areas, everybody that needs to know where I'm at can find me pretty quick. There are no trees to put a stand in, so permanent blinds are required.
We do not have cell service, so a phone pretty much stays in the truck.
I take rifle, ammo, knife, folding saw for ribs, beanie wennie's, vienna sausage, canned pineapple, can of pringles, G2 gatorade, and a good novel to help pass the time.

Its so open that the deer have no choice but to use the legs of my blind as rubs, as there are no trees.

PA160114.jpg

019253fa.jpg

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
You guys must really go out for the long haul. I go sit in my stand before day break. Take a nap if get tired. Walk around a bit if I get cold. Play angry birds on my phone if I get bored. Then go home if I get hungry or horny. Then go back in the evening and do it again.

ef9turbo

Well-Known Fanatic
I hunt private land and majority of my hunting area is inside another large portion of private land, so we have no issues with trespassers.... Yet.. LOL. I also have extended 3G where in most areas and almost always Extended network. My list of items I carry.

Rifle-If season
Bow-if season
Sometimes rifle and bow
Glock 23 w/ extra mag
2-3 knives
Cell
2-3 flashlights
Tie down straps
Fire starter
Napkins
Water
Snacks (I leave food in the car as my car is usually 50-60 yards away from where I hunt)
A few other things that I dont' want to think about.

handlebar

Well-Known Fanatic
I read monkeys dicks and almost wrecked I will think of that every time I see a can.

imhntn

Founding Member
I always try to carry a compass in my pack. Nothing like getting completely turned around in the dark after having your head down looking for blood for an hour or two. The rest of my stuff is much like the others. I can read novels on my phone. Kindle App.

dennishoddy

I always try to carry a compass in my pack. Nothing like getting completely turned around in the dark after having your head down looking for blood for an hour or two. The rest of my stuff is much like the others. I can read novels on my phone. Kindle App.

I never thought about looking for a Kindle App for my Iphone.
I'll look into that one.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
I carry a chemical light stick. I Use it to mark where my stand is so you can easily find it in the AM when on unfamiliar land.

Also I use to mark where downed deer is so I can come back to it and find it in the dark.

1OKshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I pack rope, para cord, gut knife , utility knife, quartering saw, reflective tape and flashlight, lighter, flint and mag bar in case lighter gets wet, some snacks and water in a back pack and carry 30-06 and a box of 20, and P 38 and a box of 50 cause you never know, I hunt public and hate to carry a bunch when you have to walk further than the 200 other people set up 100 yards from there truck.

Latest posts