What Do I Need To Do To Start Competitive Shooting

redneck1861

No, I didn't get arrested
Being in open division means you are competing against guys with $3-4k race pistols and double optic rifles with bipods too. It's an expensive division to play in. It's also the only division where Saigas are allowed.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this?

I have never shot competition before, but reading some of the posts here has got me wanting to give it a try, but I have no clue what kind of competition to even look into. I would want to start with just a pistol, what kind of class or competition could I get in with just a basic EDC pistol?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
You can shoot any competition with your EDC gear. However you will be paired against other similar guns and gear if you run your EDC in IDPA. To start shooting IDPA I would watch this video.

Introduction To IDPA

Unfortunately since you are in Little Ax the nearest IDPA match to you is in Hinton. Next closest is Tulsa area. We do have an IDPA carry gun match this Sunday night out at Heartland outdoors in Edmond. It is the perfect match for a beginner and for EDC actually! Ill even show you the ropes.

Here are the intro videos for the other competitions that we have in the OKC area

Introduction To Steel Challenge

Introduction to USPSA

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
JT and Redneck - I moved this over to USPSA area - Since USPSA is probably a more popular form of competition - this may be a great place to start. You can honestly start with just your off the shelf pistol and some mags. Check out the match announcement section - there are always matches posted. Also many guys here will even be so kind to lend you gear to test out. I got started about 6 months back and I have to warn you though - it's very addicting

jtischauser

JT and Redneck - I moved this over to USPSA area - Since USPSA is probably a more popular form of competition - this may be a great place to start. You can honestly start with just your off the shelf pistol and some mags. Check out the match announcement section - there are always matches posted. Also many guys here will even be so kind to lend you gear to test out. I got started about 6 months back and I have to warn you though - it's very addicting

Thanks for screwing up my post by moving the thread I just moved while I was in the middle of posting in it! EDC is IDPA.

You will not be as competitive in USPSA with two mags and a IWB holster in USPSA.

jtischauser

So JUST edit it :-D

You miss my point. :-[

I was already doing that. :098:

P.S. IDPA is more popular in the big scheme of things. More members, matches, etc. USPSA is king in OKC. :96:

EDIT: This is Brandon and I having a power struggle. LOL!

redneck1861

Well I didn't really mean EDC gear, just a EDC type pistol, I have alot of gear, I don't even own a IWB holster, I use a blackhawk, I have a couple thigh rigs, mag holders, I have 18 mags for my G22.

I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a competition gun. So what I was trying to ask is what competition could I get into with a slightly modified Glock?

By slightly modified I mean the only modifications are, 3.5lb trigger, lone wolf barrel,stipple job, and dawson fiber optic sights

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
USPSA all the way my opinion. What caliber is it?

How many mags do you have?

I shoot (or attempt to) a Glock 35 with many of the same mods that you have in USPSA Limited.

Disclaimer - I'm still new to competition and only a "D" class shooter LOL

redneck1861

Well I have 4 Glock's but the one I am talking about is the G22 it is a .40S&W, I have (18) 15 round mag's for it

jtischauser

Well I didn't really mean EDC gear, just a EDC type pistol, I have alot of gear, I don't even own a IWB holster, I use a blackhawk, I have a couple thigh rigs, mag holders, I have 18 mags for my G22.

I just don't want to spend a bunch of money on a competition gun. So what I was trying to ask is what competition could I get into with a slightly modified Glock?

By slightly modified I mean the only modifications are, 3.5lb trigger, lone wolf barrel,stipple job, and dawson fiber optic sights

You can shoot whatever competition you want with that kit. USPSA, Steel Challenge, IDPA.

You should sell me a couple of those G22 mags for $10 too. I only have about 9.

redneck1861

How big is the average size course?

I ask because I have a private gun range on my property, and could possibly make my own course. If I was able to do it on my property, would any of yall be interested in helping build it, and coming out to shoot?

jtischauser

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
UHH YEAAAAA

If I remember correctly in USPSA the MOST number of shots / one stage is 32.

I attached a typical style course to give you an example.

You shoot the BROWN paper guys (2 shots per target), the BLACK paper guys are "hard cover" like hiding behind a wall, the WHITE paper guys are the good guys DO NOT SHOOT

Go to this link to see other peoples stage designs - Here

fb09vc99sdhttcatg6j.png

jtischauser

How big is the average size course?

I ask because I have a private gun range on my property, and could possibly make my own course. If I was able to do it on my property, would any of yall be interested in helping build it, and coming out to shoot?

Watch my videos from OKC gun clubs USPSA match if you want to get an idea of course size. You'd have to have pretty big range and lits of target stands and props to hold a match. Now a training session is another thing. You can run drills with one target until you're blue in the face.

redneck1861

Watch my videos from OKC gun clubs USPSA match if you want to get an idea of course size. You'd have to have pretty big range and lits of target stands and props to hold a match. Now a training session is another thing. You can run drills with one target until you're blue in the face.

I wouldn't hold a match, but just build one to practice on.

Latest posts